Python 3.0 Roadmap?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Logan, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. Logan

    Logan Guest

    Is there something like a roadmap for Python3 (i.e. v3.0)?

    IIRC, formerly people talked about Python 3000 resp. P3k
    and it was speculated, that Python3 will not be backwards
    compatible with Python2.

    Now I get the feeling, that many features (e.g. new style
    classes, iterators) are implemented in the 2.x branch to
    gradually prepare for Python3. (Some of Python's warts were
    also eliminated in the recent 2.2 and 2.3 versions.)

    So maybe Python3 will not be very different from its direct
    predecessor Python 2.x!?

    Does anyone have (up2date) links to information on Python3 plans,
    maybe a roadmap etc.??? (Could not find any decent information.)

    L.

    --
    mailto: logan@phreaker(NoSpam).net
    Logan, Nov 22, 2003

  2. Logan <> writes:

    > Is there something like a roadmap for Python3 (i.e. v3.0)?

    Not an explicitly-maintained one, atleast not publically.

    However, looking at the PEPs shows fragments of what certain
    individuals expect to happen.

    > IIRC, formerly people talked about Python 3000 resp. P3k
    > and it was speculated, that Python3 will not be backwards
    > compatible with Python2.

    The same was speculated about Python 2 when 1.5.2 was current. Guido's
    plan was to release 1.6, 1.7, and so on, and then rewrite Python in
    C++, and call that Python 2.0. History shows that the future is
    difficult to predict.

    > So maybe Python3 will not be very different from its direct
    > predecessor Python 2.x!?

    In my view, this is quite likely. Even more likely is that Python 3
    won't be released until 2010.

    Py3k, of course, won't be released for the next 900 years :)

    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin v. =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=, Nov 22, 2003

  3. Logan

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Logan <> wrote:

    >So maybe Python3 will not be very different from its direct
    >predecessor Python 2.x!?

    Not if you keep your code up-to-date. The plan is that lots of things
    that are no longer needed will be removed (e.g. ``apply()``), and this
    will make room for some features that would clash with the existing
    codebase, but by-and-large it won't be any kind of quantum leap.

    However, if you're currently maintaining code that still needs to run on
    1.5.2, it's likely that Python 3.0 will bring some pain.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    Aahz, Nov 22, 2003
  4. Logan

    Logan Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:33:55 +0100, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

    > Even more likely is that Python 3 won't be released until 2010.

    Now I remember where I read for the first time about 'P3K' resp.
    'Python 3000': in your book!

    Martin von Löwis, Nils Fischbeck
    Python 2 (German / 2. Auflage / Addison-Wesley)
    Page 20: "Die Zukunft von Python"

    (Great chapter on 'Tkinter', by the way!)

    So, by what you say, I guess that you do not already have a
    draft for a 'Python 3' book in your secret drawer!? :)

    L.

    --
    mailto: logan@phreaker(NoSpam).net
    Logan, Nov 23, 2003
  5. Logan fed this fish to the penguins on Saturday 22 November 2003 16:09
    pm:

    > So, by what you say, I guess that you do not already have a
    > draft for a 'Python 3' book in your secret drawer!? :)

    I suspect only the Deitel's have that <G>

    {Based upon rudimentary comparison of their C++ and Java texts, the
    majority of the work consisted of running an editor global find/replace
    on the language name, then plugging in new source code samples for the
    same sample project <G>}

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Nov 23, 2003
  6. Logan <> writes:

    > (Great chapter on 'Tkinter', by the way!)

    Thanks; the merits for this chapter go to Nils.

    > So, by what you say, I guess that you do not already have a
    > draft for a 'Python 3' book in your secret drawer!? :)

    :)

    Martin
    Martin v. =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=, Nov 23, 2003