Python 3.3 can't find PySide

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tyson Moore, Jan 12, 2013.

  1. Tyson Moore

    Tyson Moore Guest

    Hi everybody,

    I'm just starting to dabble in Python development after spending years
    with C# and Java, but there's one small thing holding me back: I can't
    seem to get PySide working for the life of me. Let me explain:

    I'm on OS X 10.6.8 and have installed Python 3.3.0 and Qt 4.8.4 with
    Homebrew. The Python interpreter works fine, and all the Qt utilites
    are in my $PATH and installed correctly. Homebrew has a package for
    PySide, but it's only compiled against Python 2.x instead of 3.x (there
    is an issue about this, https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/16439),
    so I can't use that.

    I tried using the PySide BuildScripts on GitHub, but those fail with an
    error that I can't seem to resolve (I'll save that for a PySide list, I
    guess). I can't compile it manually because I don't have the expertise
    to pass the right options to cmake and tell it where to find all my
    Python stuff, so I'm really at my wit's end.

    I tried installing the Homebrew PySide package anyways, but putting the
    PySide directory (with __init__.py) in my PYTHONPATH didn't allow me to
    import anything from PySide; I guess this means that PySide has to be
    told to compile for 3.x instead of 2.x.

    My question: is there anybody who has had success installing PySide on
    OS X for Python 3.x? There must be a way, I must be missing
    something... right?

    I'll try to find a more relevant PySide list or something to pose this
    question on but in the meantime, if anybody has any suggestions, I'd
    appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!
    --
    Tyson Moore

    Tyson Moore, Jan 12, 2013