Python 3.3 can't find PySide

Tyson Moore

Hi everybody,

I'm just starting to dabble in Python development after spending years
with C# and Java, but there's one small thing holding me back: I can't
seem to get PySide working for the life of me. Let me explain:

I'm on OS X 10.6.8 and have installed Python 3.3.0 and Qt 4.8.4 with
Homebrew. The Python interpreter works fine, and all the Qt utilites
are in my $PATH and installed correctly. Homebrew has a package for
PySide, but it's only compiled against Python 2.x instead of 3.x (there
is an issue about this, https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/16439),
so I can't use that.

I tried using the PySide BuildScripts on GitHub, but those fail with an
error that I can't seem to resolve (I'll save that for a PySide list, I
guess). I can't compile it manually because I don't have the expertise
to pass the right options to cmake and tell it where to find all my
Python stuff, so I'm really at my wit's end.

I tried installing the Homebrew PySide package anyways, but putting the
PySide directory (with __init__.py) in my PYTHONPATH didn't allow me to
import anything from PySide; I guess this means that PySide has to be
told to compile for 3.x instead of 2.x.

My question: is there anybody who has had success installing PySide on
OS X for Python 3.x? There must be a way, I must be missing
something... right?

I'll try to find a more relevant PySide list or something to pose this
question on but in the meantime, if anybody has any suggestions, I'd
appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!