    Macs? I've tried googling and the usual search strategies. Any help
    would be appreciated.

    DAN

    Dan, Dec 24, 2008

  2. Dan

    Mark Guest

    On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Dan <> wrote:

    > Wanted to learn python, got Mark Summerfield's new book "Programming in Python 3". Having a hard time getting python 3 and IDLE working on my Mac with Leopard. The mac "resources" on the python.org site seem a bit out of date, and don't really mention python 3. Are there any resources out there? Is the python community just not interested in Macs? I've tried googling and the usual search strategies. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > DAN

    I used the following link when installing Python 3 on my Mac running
    Leopard, it worked like a charm:

    http://farmdev.com/thoughts/66/python-3-0-on-mac-os-x-alongside-2-6-2-5-etc-/

    These instructions are based around installing Python 3 alongside your
    existing install, which is what I was looking for.

    YMMV, especially concerning IDLE, I haven't used it with 3.0 as of yet.

    -Mark

    Mark, Dec 25, 2008

  3. Dan wrote:
    > Is the python community just not interested in Macs?

    This is fairly close to the truth. The Mac port is currently
    mostly unmaintained, due to the past contributors having moved
    on or being occupied by other matters (such as Real Life).

    I would phrase it vice versa, though: the Mac community is not
    much interested in Python. Of course, Apple has a steady interest
    in Python, but that so far focuses on 2.x, is bound to Apple's
    product cycles, and did not went as far yet as assigning an
    Apple engineer to contribute to the Python core on a regular
    basis. To contribute in this area, you do need to deep
    understanding of OSX, so many Mac users are probably not
    qualified - and neither are most of the Python core contributors.

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. Löwis, Dec 27, 2008
  4. Dan

    scott Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > Wanted to learn python, got Mark Summerfield's new book "Programming in
    > Python 3". Having a hard time getting python 3 and IDLE working on my
    > Mac with Leopard. The mac "resources" on the python.org site seem a bit
    > out of date, and don't really mention python 3. Are there any resources
    > out there? Is the python community just not interested in Macs? I've
    > tried googling and the usual search strategies. Any help would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > DAN

    Activestate has a Python 3.0 distribution for 8 or 9 platforms including
    Mac OS X:
    http://www.activestate.com/Products/activepython/python3.mhtml
    IDLE works well here on Leopard (calltips etc) and they have bundled
    documentation in Apple help format.

    Note:
    I installed ActiveTcl prior to installing Python 3.0:
    http://www.activestate.com/Products/activetcl/index.mhtml
    I'm not sure if this was necessary for proper IDLE function or not. Both
    ActivePython 3.0 and ActiveTcl installs were painless.

    scott, Dec 27, 2008
  5. Dan

    Kevin Walzer Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > Wanted to learn python, got Mark Summerfield's new book "Programming in
    > Python 3". Having a hard time getting python 3 and IDLE working on my
    > Mac with Leopard. The mac "resources" on the python.org site seem a bit
    > out of date, and don't really mention python 3. Are there any resources
    > out there? Is the python community just not interested in Macs? I've
    > tried googling and the usual search strategies. Any help would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > DAN

    There's a mailing list devoted to Python on the Mac:

    It is a pretty good resource, better than the Python wiki, more up to date.

    --
    Kevin Walzer
    Code by Kevin

    Kevin Walzer, Dec 28, 2008