Python 3 xmlrpc client HTTPS problem

Leo List

I have just built and installed version 3.1 and all's good, but when I
try to connect to a server via HTTPS I get the following:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.1/xmlrpc/client.py", line 1029, in __call__
return self.__send(self.__name, args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.1/xmlrpc/client.py", line 1271, in
__request
verbose=self.__verbose
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.1/xmlrpc/client.py", line 1058, in request
http_conn = self.send_request(host, handler, request_body, verbose)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.1/xmlrpc/client.py", line 1183, in
send_request
"your version of http.client doesn't support HTTPS")
NotImplementedError: your version of http.client doesn't support HTTPS

I am on Ubuntu and have followed the instructions on how to build a
release with SSL support:

./configure CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/openssl LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib/ssl

Any idea what I'm missing?

Thanks