Python and "Ajax technology collaboration"

John Willems

Interesting GUI developments, it seems. Anyone developed a "Ajax"
application using Python? Very curious....

thx

(Ajax stands for:
XHTML and CSS;
dynamic display and interaction using the Document Object Model;
data interchange and manipulation using XML and XSLT;
asynchronous data retrieval using XMLHttpRequest;
and JavaScript binding everything together

ie Google has used these technologies to build Gmail, Google Maps etc.

more info:
http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php)

aurora

It was discussed in the last Bay Area Python Interest Group meeting.

Thursday, February 10, 2005
Agenda: Developing Responsive GUI Applications Using HTML and HTTP
Speakers: Donovan Preston
http://www.baypiggies.net/

The author has a component LivePage for this. You may find it from
http://nevow.com/. Similar idea from the Javascript stuff but very Python
centric.

Dave Brueck

John said:
Interesting GUI developments, it seems. Anyone developed a "Ajax"
application using Python? Very curious....

thx

(Ajax stands for:
XHTML and CSS;
dynamic display and interaction using the Document Object Model;
data interchange and manipulation using XML and XSLT;
asynchronous data retrieval using XMLHttpRequest;
and JavaScript binding everything together

We're using it in a couple of projects with Zope as the backend and it works
really well - the web applications are way more responsive now (I'm hoping
someone with lots of Zope knowledge will redo the ZMI itself using this approach).

-Dave

Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone

Thursday, February 10, 2005
Agenda: Developing Responsive GUI Applications Using HTML and HTTP
Speakers: Donovan Preston
http://www.baypiggies.net/

The author has a component LivePage for this. You may find it from
http://nevow.com/. Similar idea from the Javascript stuff but very Python
centric.

As an example for that technology (LivePage) I have this:

http://vercingetorix.dyndns.org:20080/

Which is an online forum where the "Quote & Reply" function is done with
XMLHttpRequest and Python.

Implementing this stuff in the forum with Nevow ( the framework created
by Donovan who I help to develop ) was almost effortless.

Chris

Does anyone else have any Nevow examples?

Chris said:
Does anyone else have any Nevow examples?

Nevow SVN is full of examples ranging from a simple hello world to a
complete blog engine with xml-rpc, smtp and web interfaces for adding
new posts and an atom feed, or even a live chat or a pastebin or an
image uploader and so on.

Evan Simpson

John said:
Interesting GUI developments, it seems. Anyone developed a "Ajax"
application using Python? Very curious....

Not what you meant, perhaps, but http://weboggle.shackworks.com has a
Javascript/HTML/CSS one-page client that uses XMLHttpRequest to talk to
a Python back-end. The requests are very crude, though, and the server
is utterly specialized (no framework, not even asyncore).

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am