Python and Code Completion

Madiba

I noticed that ide's such as activestates visual python have a certain
amount of code completion options, and i would love to implement something
similiar in my own ide.
eg when u type aclass().[dropdown with all methods here]
also Idle has some of these functions,as well as displaying 'hints' eg when
u type range([show hint here] (but idle sourcecode is to big for me try and
figure out how it is done..)

Can anybody please give me some pointers on how to get the available
properties/documentation to a class etc without actually excecuting the
code. Do i have to write my own semi-parser?
I know help('class') displays doc and methods and automatically imports
class, so is there maybe something similar to use?

any ideas?

Simon Burton

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:39:09 +0200, Madiba wrote:

Can anybody please give me some pointers on how to get the available
properties/documentation to a class etc without actually excecuting the
code. Do i have to write my own semi-parser?
I know help('class') displays doc and methods and automatically imports
class, so is there maybe something similar to use?

any ideas?

check out the compiler module. Also, i think pydoc uses it.

Simon.