Python and CORBA

rodmc

Can anyone recommend an easy to install COBRA implementation which
works with Python? I am using Windows XP.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

rod

Eric Brunel

Can anyone recommend an easy to install COBRA implementation which
works with Python? I am using Windows XP.

I used to use fnorb (http://sourceforge.net/projects/fnorb), but the
project seems to be dead. It still seems to work quite well, but I didn't
test it on the latest Python versions.

And it does meet your requirements: since it's a Python-only ORB, it's
really easy to install. You basically just have to put it somewhere in
your PYTHONPATH.
Thanks in advance.

HTH

rodmc

Thanks to everyone for their help. I had tried OmniORB and while the
base library worked ok, the Python bit OmniORBpy seems to dislike
working... Perhaps there is something wrong with my settings.

I will also try the Python only suggestion.

cheers,

rod

Diez B. Roggisch

rodmc said:
Thanks to everyone for their help. I had tried OmniORB and while the
base library worked ok, the Python bit OmniORBpy seems to dislike
working... Perhaps there is something wrong with my settings.

Omniorb is very actively developed, try and post your problems on the
mailing list:

AFAIK Fnorb also had license issues - I'm not entirely sure of that, but
better check it.

Diez

Paul McGuire

rodmc said:
Thanks to everyone for their help. I had tried OmniORB and while the
base library worked ok, the Python bit OmniORBpy seems to dislike
working... Perhaps there is something wrong with my settings.

I will also try the Python only suggestion.

cheers,

rod

Give OmniORB another shot, it is quite fully featured, including
NamingService, Trader, idl compiler. I found the Python integration with
OmniORBpy worked for me, too.

-- Paul

Eric Brunel

AFAIK Fnorb also had license issues - I'm not entirely sure of that, but
better check it.

The earlier versions seem to have been somewhat proprietary, but the
latest one should be as free as Python is. Extract from the license
agreement (just before the legalese starts):

"""
The intent of this license is to grant you the same freedoms to use fnOrb
that you enjoy under the Python 2.2 License
(http://www.python.org/2.2/license.html).
"""

So there should be no problem with that (AFAICT, but I'm no lawyer...)

HTH