    Cheers

    Ian Castleden

    PS any jobs for unemployed anglo-saxon Python programmers in France?

    ian castleden, Jan 19, 2005

  2. ian castleden

    Simon John Guest

    Hmm, sounds interesting, I've always resorted to using CSV (or even
    HTML!) when exporting to Excel.

    As far as how to open it up, have a look at creating a project on
    www.sourceforge.net or just zip it up and bung it on your own website
    if you have one. I've got the feeling there are also Python-specific
    repositories too. Or you could just paste the code into a blog or
    something free like Livejournal.

    Good luck on the France thing, that's where my folks live now (I'm an
    Englishman who retreated to the US!)

    Simon John, Jan 19, 2005

  3. ian castleden

    Guest

    Please consider this reply as one vote for posting your python Excel
    interface/software on the Vaults of Pamassus Web Site. Located at
    http://www.vex.net/parnassus/

    , Jan 19, 2005
  4. If it helps, I started a similar project a few years ago on SourceForge when I
    was just learning python called python2xlw. I haven't supported it for quite
    a while, however, I still use it a lot in my own work.

    I needed to create Excel files with scatter charts in them for a web interface
    so I went through the excercise of disassembling the BIFF codes of the older
    XLW format of excel and creating a byte stream representation of the
    spreadsheet that could be saved to file or sent directly to the web user as an
    excel application in there browser.

    The newer XLS format is a bit more complex and I didn't have enough
    documentation to create the charts I needed directly from python in the newer
    XLS format. (the current version of excel still understands XLW, however, so
    you're just a "SAVE AS" away from XLS.)

    As I think was mentioned in another post, you can create charts etc. using the
    COM interface for a client-type application, however, my goal was to create
    them on-the-fly directly from the web server without launching a server-side
    excel application.

    There is a nice Perl project called Spreadsheet::WriteExcel that John McNamara
    created that was very helpful to me at that time, however, it only created the
    worksheets, not charts.

    Charlie Taylor, Jan 20, 2005