python and microsoft visio

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jaco Smuts, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. Jaco Smuts

    Jaco Smuts Guest

    Hello there

    short question: Any body got experience in extracting information from
    visio drawings using python.
    I presume I am looking at something like
    win32com.client.Dispatch('Visio.Application [or Drawing]), but I am a bit
    lost.

    long version:
    I am about to embark on an excersize to document existing deployment of
    middleware in our organisation.
    (will also be used for design of future projects)
    The standard used for architecture and design docs here is MS Visio.
    I am hoping to write a python script to extract information from these
    drawings. Then use this information to test the actual deployment vs. the
    documents.
    Any ideas will be appreciated.

    thanks
    Jaco

    Jaco Smuts, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Jaco Smuts wrote:

    > Hello there
    >
    > short question: Any body got experience in extracting information from
    > visio drawings using python.
    > I presume I am looking at something like
    > win32com.client.Dispatch('Visio.Application [or Drawing]), but I am a
    > bit lost.
    >

    > long version:
    > I am about to embark on an excersize to document existing deployment of
    > middleware in our organisation.
    > (will also be used for design of future projects)
    > The standard used for architecture and design docs here is MS Visio.
    > I am hoping to write a python script to extract information from these
    > drawings. Then use this information to test the actual deployment vs.
    > the documents.
    > Any ideas will be appreciated.
    >
    > thanks
    > Jaco

    Jaco,

    I am using Python to automate the generation of derived formats: eps and
    gif. My experiences with this combination are that Visio automation is
    somewhat shaky. I am using Visio 5. On the net I hear that newer Visio
    versions have changed the export functions I am using, but they did
    apparantly not improve :-(. The symptoms are Visio crashes because of
    some memory problem. Despite this intermittent problem I generate the
    complete Gaudi site, with over 700 different Visio Diagrams, with these
    tools. You are welcome to have a look at my scripts, but they are really
    very poorly documented, abosuletly non-fool proof, scripts.

    kind regards, Gerrit

    --
    Gaudi systems architecting:
    <http://www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/>