Python and Multi-Physics

Satish Chimakurthi

Hello all,

For the last six months I have been working with Python for a certain multi-physics application (Fluid-Structure Interactions) related to my project. Beyond any doubt, Python proved to be extremely useful for my calculations and scripting needs. I am going to give a presentation at a conference next week, as part of which, I plan to highlight the importance and usefulness of python in research related to Multi-Physics. I have my own examples with which I can demonstrate this effectively, but then, with my very limited understanding and experience, I am not able to come up with better ideas.

If I come to know of more succesful stories in Multi-Physics research using python, I would like to include them too in my presentation and emphasize the spirit of using python in scientific research. I know of few companies like CFDRC and laboratories like LLNL who use python extensively for the kind of research I am talking about(from web). Is there any other individual or company devoted to such research ? Please let me know. This information would be of great help to me in presenting my stuff better.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards,
Satish Kumar Chimakurthi

SATISH KUMAR CHIMAKURTHI
Graduate Research Assistant
CFD GROUP
Mechanical Engineering
UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY
Lexington
KENTUCKY - 40508
U.S.A

Email: (e-mail address removed)
Mobile:859-420-9890
Office: 859-257-6336 X 80691

Cameron Laird

.
.
.
emphasize the spirit of using python in scientific research. I know of
few companies like CFDRC and laboratories like LLNL who use python
extensively for the kind of research I am talking about(from web). Is
there any other individual or company devoted to such research ? Please
.
.
.
There are lots. LOTS. Enough that it'd be a full-time job
cataloguing them. While I launched <URL:
http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.programming/open_source_science.html >
with the idea of (among other things) indexing such initiatives,
I've long since abandoned the fantasy of keeping up.

Look through the Proceedings of the Annual Python Conferences.
I think you'll find those useful.

Fernando Perez

Satish Chimakurthi wrote:

If I come to know of more succesful stories in Multi-Physics research using
python, I would like to include them too in my presentation and emphasize the
spirit of using python in scientific research. I know of few companies like
CFDRC and laboratories like LLNL who use python extensively for the kind of
research I am talking about(from web). Is there any other individual or
company devoted to such research ? Please let me know. This information would
be of great help to me in presenting my stuff better.

Here's a link you may find of interest:
http://www.osti.gov/scidac/updatesharrison.html

Some details of this work will be presented at an AMS regional meeting in
March:

http://e-math.ams.org/amsmtgs/2090_program_ss12.html

Look for the Saturday afternoon sessions for links to the abstracts (the talks
aren't written yet :). All of the work at ORNL and what we at CU Boulder are
doing is in python, with C/C++ and Fortran cores for the speed-critical parts.
I haven't put any of what we've done online yet, but I'll make sure to have
the pdfs for the AMS talks available when they're done.

A guy across the hall from me did his PhD in fluid-structure interactions
(cavitation calculations for explosions near ships), but he was using Fortran
and I've yet to convince him to switch to python :)

Cheers,

f.