Python and Outlook-style rules

Discussion in 'Python' started by Brian, Sep 9, 2011.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    I'm about to create a system which will need to allow hundreds of
    users to create and maintain their own rules in a similar fashion to
    MS Outlook rules. ie.
    Each rule consists of one or more user configurable conditions and if/
    when the conditions are met then one or more user configurable actions
    will be applied.

    The conditions will be things like "a specified key in a dictionary is
    in a specified list of values" (where the user can choose the key and
    the values), or "a specific record is in the specified
    database" (where the user chooses the primary key of the record and
    the database table to look in).

    The actions will be things like "send an email to address" (where the
    user chooses the address and the email template to use).

    The user will do their configuration in a browser. Also, I need to be
    able to continue to add new conditions and actions to the system over
    time.

    Is there a python module (preferably free/open source) which already
    does (some of) this? I can write the back-end logic easily enough
    (although I'd rather not re-invent the wheel) but I'd particularly
    like to find a widget or similar which will make the front-end look
    nice and be cross-browser compatible.
    Brian, Sep 9, 2011

  2. Brian

    Alec Taylor Guest