    Any pointers, examples, etc for communicating from Python to an RT task?

    Thanks,
    Ray
    Ray Schumacher, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Ray Schumacher

    seletz Guest

    Hi,

    Ray Schumacher wrote:
    > Has anyone used Python and a hard real-time OS/patch to schedule timed events?
    > We have started in on Debian and RTAI, and may be using LXRT.
    > (I've been reading http://people.mech.kuleuven.be/~psoetens/lxrt/portingtolxrt.html)

    you should really also try http://www.xenomai.org; IMHO it has a much
    cleaner API than
    RTAI. And it even works for PPC targets, if thats of interst to you
    (both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels).

    Userspace RT programming works like a charm.

    > I was envisioning that we really only need a separate RT-process in C using RDTSC or ACPI clocking that can get its control messages from non-RT Python every 50ms or so, to toggle pins on parport0.
    > Any pointers, examples, etc for communicating from Python to an RT task?

    Xenomai has lots of communication primitives -- I even can imagine a
    simple c-coded python extension to communicate over rt queues.

    Xenomai also has a "posix RT" skin, which tries to provide all of the
    POSIX RT extensions, maybe even a recompile of python and linking
    against the posix rt skin of xenomai would be enough.

    HTH,
    Stefan.

    seletz, Jul 28, 2006