Python and TAP

Matej Cepl

I have just finished listening to the FLOSS Weekly podcast #200
(http://twit.tv/show/floss-weekly/200) on autotest, where I've learned
about the existence of TAP (http://testanything.org/). A standardization
of testing seems to be so obviously The Right Thingâ„¢, that it is strange
that I don't see much related movement in the Python world (I know only
about http://git.codesimply.com/?p=PyTAP.git;a=summary or
git://git.codesimply.com/PyTAP.git, which seems to be very very simple
and only producer).

What am I missing? Why nobody seems to care about joining TAP standard?

Best,

Matěj

Frank Becker

On 06.02.12 01:58, Matej Cepl wrote:

Hi,
I have just finished listening to the FLOSS Weekly podcast #200
(http://twit.tv/show/floss-weekly/200) on autotest, where I've learned
about the existence of TAP (http://testanything.org/). A standardization
of testing seems to be so obviously The Right Thing™, that it is strange
that I don't see much related movement in the Python world (I know only
about http://git.codesimply.com/?p=PyTAP.git;a=summary or
git://git.codesimply.com/PyTAP.git, which seems to be very very simple
and only producer).

What am I missing? Why nobody seems to care about joining TAP standard?
Not sure. Probably it comes down to what you need depending on your tool
chain. But there are alternatives. Most prominent to my knowledge is
subunit [0]. Here is a comparison between the two [1].

One warning when you jump on the TAP train: Using the Python YAML
module PyYAML you will have to find out that TAP uses a YAML subset
called YAMLish [3]. It's not the same and pretty much defined by the
Perl implementation.

[0] https://launchpad.net/subunit
[1]
http://www.kinoshita.eti.br/2011/06/04/a-comparison-of-tap-test-anything-protocol-and-subunit/
[2] http://pyyaml.org/
[3] http://testanything.org/wiki/index.php/YAMLish

Bye,

Frank

--
Frank Becker <[email protected]> (jabber|mail) | http://twitter.com/41i3n8
GnuPG: 0xADC29ECD | F01B 5E9C 1D09 981B 5B40 50D3 C80F 7459 ADC2 9ECD

Terry Reedy

On 06.02.12 01:58, Matej Cepl wrote:

TAP is not about 'standardization of testing' but standardized
communication of test results between test modules and test harness.
Python's two stdlib test packages include both test-writing methods and
a test harness. They are compatible in the sense that doctests can be
run within the unittest framework.

I presume PyTAP does something like converting (or rather, wrapping)
output from unittests to (or rather, within) the TAP format, which
includes wrapping in YAMLish. Or it provides alternate versions of the
numerous AssertXxx functions in unittest. This is useful for someone
running Python tests within a TAP harness, but not otherwise.

The 'TAP standard' is what the Perl TAP module does. There is a
pre-draft for an IETF standard. You could ask why Perl people don't care
about joining the unittest 'standard'.

Matej Cepl

alex23

I have just finished listening to the FLOSS Weekly podcast #200
(http://twit.tv/show/floss-weekly/200) on autotest, where I've learned
about the existence of TAP (http://testanything.org/).
[...]

What am I missing?

Experience?

Are you seriously advocating something for which you've done nothing
more than watch a podcast?
Why nobody seems to care about joining TAP standard?

You just discovered it, why do you assume that everyone else is
familiar with it? Use it, document your successes and failures, and
then if it _has value to you_ come back and tell us about your
experiences.

Matej Cepl

Experience?

Are you seriously advocating something for which you've done nothing
more than watch a podcast?

No, I am not. If you reread my original post, you may find that I was
asking exactly for experience and explanation why something which seems
to me obvious is not done. I guess there must be some hook somewhere,
right? Which is what I was asking for.

One hook I've got (YAMLish is really ... well, let's keep this group G
rated), others may yet to follow.

Matěj