    --
    Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

    Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

    W. Watson, Aug 17, 2007

  2. W. Watson

    Guest

    On Aug 17, 12:59 pm, "W. Watson" <> wrote:
    > Why is the book in Subject (author is Grayson) so expensive? $100 on Amazon
    > and $195 on ABE. Aren't there alternatives?
    > --
    > Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)
    >
    > Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

    Probably because it is out of print, and thus, hard-to-find. I got my
    copy last year and it definitely didn't cost that much then.

    Mike

    , Aug 17, 2007

  3. W. Watson

    James Stroud Guest

    W. Watson wrote:
    > Why is the book in Subject (author is Grayson) so expensive? $100 on
    > Amazon and $195 on ABE. Aren't there alternatives?

    Read the fine print. Its available as an ebook for about $25.00 at
    Manning. You can print out just the parts you need--or read it from your
    iphone.

    James

    --
    James Stroud
    Box 951570

    http://www.jamesstroud.com/

    James Stroud, Aug 17, 2007
  4. W. Watson <> wrote:
    > Why is the book in Subject (author is Grayson) so expensive? $100 on Amazon
    > and $195 on ABE. Aren't there alternatives?

    There is an excellent section (266 pages) on TKinter in "Programming
    Python" by Mark Lutz. I've got the 2nd edition.

    Lutz concentrates on TK programming using classes, making re-usable
    components which I found really helpful compared to the ad-hoc way I'd
    seen TK presented previously.

    Nick Craig-Wood, Aug 18, 2007
  5. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    Thanks. I'm borrowing it from a library and see the URL on the back of the
    book. <www.manning.com/grayson>

    W. Watson, Aug 18, 2007
  6. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    Thanks. I'll test the waters on Amazon.

    W. Watson, Aug 18, 2007
  7. W. Watson

    Kevin Walzer Guest

    Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
    > W. Watson <> wrote:
    >> Why is the book in Subject (author is Grayson) so expensive? $100 on Amazon
    >> and $195 on ABE. Aren't there alternatives?

    > There is an excellent section (266 pages) on TKinter in "Programming
    > Python" by Mark Lutz. I've got the 2nd edition.
    >
    > Lutz concentrates on TK programming using classes, making re-usable
    > components which I found really helpful compared to the ad-hoc way I'd
    > seen TK presented previously.

    +1 on Lutz. It's very current, and has helped me learn Tkinter
    programming (and I already have a background with Tk via Tcl).

    --
    Kevin Walzer
    Code by Kevin

    Kevin Walzer, Aug 19, 2007
  8. W. Watson

    peter Guest

    On 17 Aug, 18:59, "W. Watson" <> wrote:
    > Why is the book in Subject (author is Grayson) so expensive? $100 on Amazon
    > and $195 on ABE. Aren't there alternatives?
    > --
    > Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)
    >
    > Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

    I got hold of a copy a couple of years ago via my public library, and
    quite frankly didn't find it much use. It was too brief on the
    basics, and the bulk of the book was taken up with a description of an
    extension called Python Megawidgets. Such Tkinter knowledge as I have
    acquired came from Frederik Lundh's tutorial, which is free!

    http://www.pythonware.com/media/data/an-introduction-to-tkinter.pdf

    I recorded my experiences here:

    http://www.aqzj33.dsl.pipex.com/how_i_learned_tkinter/contents.htm

    Surprisingly the address is still valid, as I stoped that isp
    subscription about a year ago. But the email I cite there has been
    abandoned to spam now.

    Peter

    peter, Aug 20, 2007