Python and Web Hosting

Ken Fettig

Hello, I am begining to learn the Python language and I am enjoying its
flexibility. I do have a question. I am considering using Python for web
development. I have found that a huge number of web hosts offer support for
PHP. How hard is it to find a Web Host that will allow you to you to run
your own Python scripts, web or app server, template engine (Zope or
Cheetah)? If it is not, is it comparable in cost?

Thanks
Ken
(e-mail address removed)

Paul Rubin

Ken Fettig said:
Hello, I am begining to learn the Python language and I am enjoying its
flexibility. I do have a question. I am considering using Python for web
development. I have found that a huge number of web hosts offer support for
PHP. How hard is it to find a Web Host that will allow you to you to run
your own Python scripts, web or app server, template engine (Zope or
Cheetah)? If it is not, is it comparable in cost?

There are some hosts that let you run Python scripts. They're not as
easy to find as PHP hosts, but they're out there. Sometimes they don't
always have the latest version, and so forth.

Another possibility is to run a host or virtual host of your own.
That lets you install any software you want. It's a bit more
expensive than basic web hosting, and you have to do more of your own
system administration, but it's much more flexible.

See http://www.usermodelinux.org for pointers to some providers.

J. W. McCall

Ken said:
Hello, I am begining to learn the Python language and I am enjoying its
flexibility. I do have a question. I am considering using Python for web
development. I have found that a huge number of web hosts offer support for
PHP. How hard is it to find a Web Host that will allow you to you to run
your own Python scripts, web or app server, template engine (Zope or
Cheetah)? If it is not, is it comparable in cost?

Thanks
Ken
(e-mail address removed)

I have an account with www.freeshell.org. It has support for Python,
C/C++, PHP, Perl, and quite a few other languages. You have to make a
one-time donation of $30 or so (it's a nonprofit public shell account
provider) to get web hosting and all that. You also get a full Unix
shell account.

You might want to check it out. I'm not sure about Zope or Cheetah,
whatever those are (I'm new to Python), but it definately supports
Python. I just wrote some scripts for my web site on there.

J. W. McCall