    webcam. Of course, I think it is possible... but I don't know if there
    is a specific module for this kind of work. Can anyone give me a council?

    Thanks
    Mirco, Aug 29, 2003

  2. Mirco

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Mirco wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'd like to know if is it possible to make python communicate with a
    > webcam. Of course, I think it is possible... but I don't know if there
    > is a specific module for this kind of work. Can anyone give me a council?

    Depends a lot on the type of webcam, but in any case it's a pretty
    safe bet that (a) it's possible, and (b) there is no *specific* module
    for the task.

    That said, there are things like PIL which could be of use in this area,
    and at least one specific webcam package (probably using calldll to get
    to the library for the device) that has been posted in the past.

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Aug 29, 2003

  3. Mirco

    Mirco Guest

    Mirco, Aug 29, 2003
  4. "Peter Hansen" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Mike Kier wrote:
    > >

    > > Try this...
    > > http://videocapture.sourceforge.net/

    > Ah, that's the one. Uses it's own .pyd actually, not calldll as I
    > thought.
    >
    > Doesn't work with my webcam though. Might help if the OP could specify
    > what he has.

    Works fine with my lowcost cam (AIPTEK 3M). USB Driver from AIPTEK
    installed - no problems with VideoCapture. Have you tried the AMCAP.EXE in
    folder AMCAP? This is not Pytthon but checks the same interface...

    Kindly
    Michael
    Michael Peuser, Aug 29, 2003
  5. "Peter Hansen" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Michael Peuser wrote:
    > >
    > > "Peter Hansen" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > > > Ah, that's the one. Uses it's own .pyd actually, not calldll as I
    > > > thought.
    > > >
    > > > Doesn't work with my webcam though. Might help if the OP could

    specify
    > > > what he has.
    > > >

    > > Works fine with my lowcost cam (AIPTEK 3M). USB Driver from AIPTEK
    > > installed - no problems with VideoCapture. Have you tried the AMCAP.EXE

    in
    > > folder AMCAP? This is not Pytthon but checks the same interface...

    > No point trying. My webcam is an Axis Communications networked camera
    > which hooks up to Ethernet and responds via HTTP requests. :)
    >
    > I *think*, though I'm not certain, that the term "webcam" is still
    > generic enough that it doesn't automatically mean a particular
    > kind of camera that is always hooked up through USB and available
    > via the VideoCapture driver...

    As far as I understand it he uses a standard DirectX (8.0) interface
    "Device". It is only necessary to provide a proprietary driver which
    supports this. Probably no chance for *very* legacy hardware....
    Michael Peuser, Aug 29, 2003
  6. Mirco

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Michael Peuser wrote:

    > As far as I understand it he uses a standard DirectX (8.0) interface
    > "Device". It is only necessary to provide a proprietary driver which
    > supports this. Probably no chance for *very* legacy hardware....

    Cool... so it works well with perhaps "most" common webcams under
    Windows (only). Not bad for a start. We can assume the OP is using
    Windows then, unless he comes back with a big stick. <grin>

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Aug 29, 2003