Python app installs itself in two places - why?

Discussion in 'Python' started by tinnews@isbd.co.uk, Dec 28, 2011.

  1. Guest

    I have installed an application called pycocuma on my xubuntu 11.10
    system. It works OK and I'm aiming to develop it a little as its
    'owner' has long since stopped work on it.

    However I'm a little puzzled by the way it has installed itself (it's
    a standard package from the Ubuntu repositories), all the python
    source is installed in two places:-

    /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pycocumalib
    /usr/share/pyshared/pycocumalib

    All the files in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pycocumalib are
    actually symbolic links to the ones in /usr/share/pyshared/pycocumalib
    but I just wondered why they're in both places.

    Is it just 'historic' or is there a good sound reason for it?

    --
    Chris Green

    , Dec 28, 2011