Python as a replacement to PL/SQL

Alec Taylor

Good morning,

Is there a set of libraries for python which can be used as a complete
replacement to PL/SQL?

Alternatively, is there a python library for generating PL/SQL?

(I am speaking from the context of Oracle DB, PL/Python only works
with PostgreSQL)

Thanks for all suggestions,

Alec Taylor

Alain Ketterlin

Alec Taylor said:
Is there a set of libraries for python which can be used as a complete
replacement to PL/SQL?

This doesn't make much sense: PL/SQL lets you write server-side code,
i.e., executed by the DBMS. Oracle can't execute python code directly,
so python can only be used on the client side (I meant "client of the
DBMS"), i.e., not to write stored procedures. There is no "complete
replacement" of PL/SQL besides Java.

This page shows you how to _call_ PL/SQL procedures from a python script:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/dsl/python-091105.html
(I am speaking from the context of Oracle DB, PL/Python only works
with PostgreSQL)

PL/Python is a different beast, it lets you write stored functions in
python. There is no such thing, afaik, with Oracle.

-- Alain.

Alec Taylor

Hmm...

What else is there besides PL/Python (for any DB) in the context of
writing stored procedures in function?

Thanks for all suggestions,

Alec Taylor

Martin Komoň

PostgreSQL supports PL/SQL, PL/TCL, PL/Python, PL/Perl and I've also
seen PL/Java add on module.

Martin