    with PostgreSQL)

    Thanks for all suggestions,

    Alec Taylor
    Alec Taylor, Oct 24, 2011

  2. Alec Taylor <> writes:

    > Is there a set of libraries for python which can be used as a complete
    > replacement to PL/SQL?

    This doesn't make much sense: PL/SQL lets you write server-side code,
    i.e., executed by the DBMS. Oracle can't execute python code directly,
    so python can only be used on the client side (I meant "client of the
    DBMS"), i.e., not to write stored procedures. There is no "complete
    replacement" of PL/SQL besides Java.

    This page shows you how to _call_ PL/SQL procedures from a python script:

    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/dsl/python-091105.html

    > (I am speaking from the context of Oracle DB, PL/Python only works
    > with PostgreSQL)

    PL/Python is a different beast, it lets you write stored functions in
    python. There is no such thing, afaik, with Oracle.

    -- Alain.
    Alain Ketterlin, Oct 24, 2011

  3. Alec Taylor

    Alec Taylor Guest

    Hmm...

    What else is there besides PL/Python (for any DB) in the context of
    writing stored procedures in function?

    Thanks for all suggestions,

    Alec Taylor

    Alec Taylor, Oct 24, 2011
  4. PostgreSQL supports PL/SQL, PL/TCL, PL/Python, PL/Perl and I've also
    seen PL/Java add on module.

    Martin

    Martin Komoň, Oct 24, 2011