Python as an extension language

Torsten Bronger

Hallöchen!

I'd like to use Python as an extension language for a C++ program.
I.e., the user starts my program and gives a python script, either
by file name or via stdin. The python script triggers a couple of
function calls within the C++ program, and afterwards my program
exits.

I already know how to do that in principle. My only concern is
distributing the thing, especially for the Windows platform. Is it
possible to create a bundle of my program and a light-weight Python
interpreter, so that installation is easy and disk usage relatively
small? The Python scripts are not supposed to import modules after
all, at least not explicitly.

Tschö,
Torsten.

Sybren Stuvel

Torsten Bronger enlightened us with:
I already know how to do that in principle. My only concern is
distributing the thing, especially for the Windows platform.

Check out distutils and py2exe.

Sybren

Torsten Bronger

Hallöchen!

Sybren Stuvel said:
Torsten Bronger enlightened us with:

Check out distutils and py2exe.

I know that py2exe can convert a Python script into an EXE file,
however, I have no Python script. I only have C++ source code, and
I'd like to avoid saying, "well, please install my little EXE and
this 10MB Python MSI for scripting it".

Tschö,
Torsten.

Miki Tebeka

Hello Torsten,
I'd like to use Python as an extension language for a C++ program.
I.e., the user starts my program and gives a python script, either
by file name or via stdin. The python script triggers a couple of
function calls within the C++ program, and afterwards my program
exits.

I already know how to do that in principle. My only concern is
distributing the thing, especially for the Windows platform. Is it
possible to create a bundle of my program and a light-weight Python
interpreter, so that installation is easy and disk usage relatively
small? The Python scripts are not supposed to import modules after
all, at least not explicitly.
See http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/moin.cgi/ShippingEmbedded

HTH

James Stroud

Torsten said:
Hallöchen!

I know that py2exe can convert a Python script into an EXE file,
however, I have no Python script. I only have C++ source code, and
I'd like to avoid saying, "well, please install my little EXE and
this 10MB Python MSI for scripting it".

Tschö,
Torsten.

Even if you had 30 different things to install to make your program
work, you could bundle them into one double-clickable installer with
inno setup. Usage is very easy. Also, read the FAQ and knowledge base
entirely if you want to make pretty slick installers. Link:

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570

http://www.jamesstroud.com/

Terry Hancock

I know that py2exe can convert a Python script into an EXE
file, however, I have no Python script. I only have C++
source code, and I'd like to avoid saying, "well, please
install my little EXE and this 10MB Python MSI for
scripting it".

If your C++ file is so small, then maybe you should
not embed a Python interpreter in it, but rather allow it to
be compiled as a Python module. Just write a Pyrex or Python
C/API wrapper for it, and include a build for the Python
module.