Python AST -> source code

Ricardo Santos

Hi,

I have a Python AST, which I have modified slightly (but still a valid
Python AST). How do I go back to its source code representation?

source code -> AST (POSSIBLE)
AST -> source code (????????)

Can someone point me to an open source solution? I don't want to have
to implement a "pretty printing" AST visitor myself.

Thanks

Ricardo Santos

Lonnie Princehouse

If you _do_ wind up writing a pretty printing AST visitor, post it
somewhere! I've searched around for something like this before with
no luck.

Fidel Viegas

Can someone point me to an open source solution? I don't want to have
to implement a "pretty printing" AST visitor myself.

Looks like that is what you will have to do, cause I don't know of any
open source solution to this.

All the best

Fidel.

John J. Lee

I have a Python AST, which I have modified slightly (but still a valid
Python AST). How do I go back to its source code representation?

source code -> AST (POSSIBLE)
AST -> source code (????????)

Can someone point me to an open source solution? I don't want to have
to implement a "pretty printing" AST visitor myself.

I know there's currently an AST branch of Python, containing
widely-spread changes throughout the core Python code. What the goal
of these changes are, though, I don't know. Google tells me the
changes are still pre-alpha, which is why they still haven't been
merged into CVS HEAD.

Maybe it's relevant, I don't know...

John

Michael Hudson

Hi,

I have a Python AST, which I have modified slightly (but still a valid
Python AST). How do I go back to its source code representation?

source code -> AST (POSSIBLE)
AST -> source code (????????)

Can someone point me to an open source solution? I don't want to have
to implement a "pretty printing" AST visitor myself.

I'm fairly sure no such thing exists. If you end up doing it, do let
us know :)

I doubt it's amazingly hard, but probably a bit tedious.

Cheers,
mwh

--
> It might get my attention if you'd spin around in your chair,
> spoke in tongues, and puked jets of green goblin goo.
I can arrange for this. ;-) -- Barry Warsaw & Fred Drake