python b.python 8 works on XP but not on Vista?

Isaac Gouy

At the command prompt:

python b.py 8
works fine on both XP and Vista

python b.python 8
works on XP (and Linux)

but on Vista

python b.python 8

ImportError: No module named b

?

Chris Rebert

At the command prompt:

  python b.py 8
works fine on both XP and Vista

  python b.python 8
works on XP (and Linux)

but on Vista

  python b.python 8

ImportError: No module named b

?

Code please. Also, .python is not a standard extension for Python
files, so why are you using it anyway?

Cheers,
Chris

Isaac Gouy

Code please.

It's the same code in both cases, I simply renamed "b.python" as
"b.py" as a test.

Also, .python is not a standard extension for Python
files, so why are you using it anyway?

Because it's useful for what I'm doing.

Given python 2.6.4 has no problem with a non-standard extension on MS
XP and Linux - why does python 2.6.4 have this problem with a non-
standard extension on MS Vista?

Chris Rebert

It's the same code in both cases, I simply renamed "b.python" as
"b.py" as a test.

The code in b.py matters. I /suspect/ it's importing itself somehow
(probably indirectly), and Python doesn't look for ".python" files
when importing, so it fails with an ImportError. But since you haven't
shown the code, I can only guess.

For that matter, the full exception Traceback would be more helpful
than the code; please include it as well.

Cheers,
Chris

Isaac Gouy

The code in b.py matters. I /suspect/ it's importing itself somehow
(probably indirectly), and Python doesn't look for ".python" files
when importing, so it fails with an ImportError. But since you haven't
shown the code, I can only guess.

Yes the code in b.py matters.

Why it matters is that there was another difference between XP and
Vista - the XP machine was single core but the Vista machine was multi
core - and the code behaves differently in each case.

Thanks.

ssteinerX

Yes the code in b.py matters.

Why it matters is that there was another difference between XP and
Vista - the XP machine was single core but the Vista machine was multi
core - and the code behaves differently in each case.

Yes, and the XP machine's case was blue, therefore case color is important, too.

Steven D'Aprano

Yes, and the XP machine's case was blue, therefore case color is
important, too.

Don't forget that the XP machine was on the left hand side of the desk,
and the Vista machine on the right. I suspect Isaac needs to physically
move the Vista machine to the left side, and it will work perfectly.

Either that, or stop pissing around and show us the actual stack trace so
we can actually help. Isaac, stop *guessing* what the problem is.

If you have to guess, try to make your guesses realistic. It's not likely
anything to do with the CPU. If anything, Python's search path is
different on your Vista and XP machines.

Isaac Gouy

Don't forget that the XP machine was on the left hand side of the desk,
and the Vista machine on the right. I suspect Isaac needs to physically
move the Vista machine to the left side, and it will work perfectly.

Either that, or stop pissing around and show us the actual stack trace so
we can actually help. Isaac, stop *guessing* what the problem is.

If you have to guess, try to make your guesses realistic. It's not likely
anything to do with the CPU. If anything, Python's search path is
different on your Vista and XP machines.

That was "Thanks." as in problem solved.

When the code switches on multiprocessing.cpu_count() - single core vs
multicore matters.

Steven D'Aprano

That was "Thanks." as in problem solved.

When the code switches on multiprocessing.cpu_count() - single core vs
multicore matters.

I'm glad you solved your problem. Out of curiosity, what was the fault?
Not the condition that leads to the fault, but the actual fault?

My guess is that it was a difference in sys.path, leading to the b module
not being found. Am I close?