    fancy. The most important thing to me is that it outputs in some
    python friendly way, or ideally that it is written in python. Any
    tips would be great!

    Robocop, Oct 24, 2008

  2. On Oct 24, 12:05 pm, Robocop <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any decent (open source or commercial) python
    > barcode recognition tools or libraries.  I need to read barcodes from
    > pdfs or images, so it will involve some OCR algorithm.  I also only
    > need to read the code 93 symbology, so it doesn't have to be very
    > fancy.  The most important thing to me is that it outputs in some
    > python friendly way, or ideally that it is written in python.  Any
    > tips would be great!

    The closest thing I've heard of is the bar code stuff in reportlab.
    This post talks a little about it:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2000-February/024893.html

    And here's the official Reportlab site link: http://www.reportlab.org/downloads.html

    Mike

    Mike Driscoll, Oct 24, 2008

  3. Robocop

    Robocop Guest

    On Oct 24, 1:24 pm, Mike Driscoll <> wrote:
    > On Oct 24, 12:05 pm, Robocop <> wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know of any decent (open source or commercial) python
    > >barcoderecognition tools or libraries.  I need to read barcodes from
    > > pdfs or images, so it will involve some OCR algorithm.  I also only
    > > need to read the code 93 symbology, so it doesn't have to be very
    > > fancy.  The most important thing to me is that it outputs in some
    > > python friendly way, or ideally that it is written in python.  Any
    > > tips would be great!

    > The closest thing I've heard of is the bar code stuff in reportlab.
    > This post talks a little about it:
    >
    > http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2000-February/024893.html
    >
    > And here's the official Reportlab site link:http://www.reportlab.org/downloads.html
    >
    > Mike

    Thanks for the tip!!

    Robocop, Oct 27, 2008
  4. Robocop

    Robocop Guest

    On Oct 24, 1:24 pm, Mike Driscoll <> wrote:
    > On Oct 24, 12:05 pm,Robocop<> wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know of any decent (open source or commercial) python
    > > barcode recognition tools or libraries.  I need to read barcodes from
    > > pdfs or images, so it will involve some OCR algorithm.  I also only
    > > need to read the code 93 symbology, so it doesn't have to be very
    > > fancy.  The most important thing to me is that it outputs in some
    > > python friendly way, or ideally that it is written in python.  Any
    > > tips would be great!

    > The closest thing I've heard of is the bar code stuff in reportlab.
    > This post talks a little about it:
    >
    > http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2000-February/024893.html
    >
    > And here's the official Reportlab site link:http://www.reportlab.org/downloads.html
    >
    > Mike

    I appreciate the effort, but that looks to be for generation of
    barcodes if i'm not mistaken. What i'm looking for is a barcode
    DECODER, not an ENCODER (i'm currently using the purepostscript
    barcode script for generation, very slick stuff), so i'm looking for
    something along the lines of some barcode specific OCR libraries.

    Robocop, Oct 27, 2008
  5. On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Robocop <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any decent (open source or commercial) python
    > barcode recognition tools or libraries. I need to read barcodes from
    > pdfs or images, so it will involve some OCR algorithm. I also only
    > need to read the code 93 symbology, so it doesn't have to be very
    > fancy. The most important thing to me is that it outputs in some
    > python friendly way, or ideally that it is written in python. Any
    > tips would be great!

    If you don't mind using a commercial Java lib, use
    http://www.tasman.co.uk/bars/readme.html. I'ts not exactly cheap, but
    it works very well, and support is good.

    The only suggestion I can give you is: stay away from mixed
    OCR/Barcode recognition software; usually they are much slower.

    Regards

    --
    Marco Bizzarri
    http://notenotturne.blogspot.com/

    Marco Bizzarri, Oct 28, 2008
  6. Robocop wrote:

    > Any tips would be great!

    The open source OCR software 'gocr' does also implement some 1D
    barcode recognition. In my experience it does this better then
    recognizing the text:
    http://jocr.sourceforge.net/

    I know about only one open source library for the DataMatrix 2D
    code, but this certain library is excellent:
    http://www.libdmtx.org/

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: , ICQ: 134682867

    Wolfgang Draxinger, Oct 28, 2008