Python barcode decoding

Robocop

Does anyone know of any decent (open source or commercial) python
barcode recognition tools or libraries. I need to read barcodes from
pdfs or images, so it will involve some OCR algorithm. I also only
need to read the code 93 symbology, so it doesn't have to be very
fancy. The most important thing to me is that it outputs in some
python friendly way, or ideally that it is written in python. Any
tips would be great!

Mike Driscoll

Does anyone know of any decent (open source or commercial) python
barcode recognition tools or libraries.  I need to read barcodes from
pdfs or images, so it will involve some OCR algorithm.  I also only
need to read the code 93 symbology, so it doesn't have to be very
fancy.  The most important thing to me is that it outputs in some
python friendly way, or ideally that it is written in python.  Any
tips would be great!

The closest thing I've heard of is the bar code stuff in reportlab.
This post talks a little about it:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2000-February/024893.html

And here's the official Reportlab site link: http://www.reportlab.org/downloads.html

Mike

Robocop

The closest thing I've heard of is the bar code stuff in reportlab.
This post talks a little about it:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2000-February/024893.html

And here's the official Reportlab site link:http://www.reportlab.org/downloads.html

Mike

I appreciate the effort, but that looks to be for generation of
barcodes if i'm not mistaken. What i'm looking for is a barcode
DECODER, not an ENCODER (i'm currently using the purepostscript
barcode script for generation, very slick stuff), so i'm looking for
something along the lines of some barcode specific OCR libraries.

Marco Bizzarri

Does anyone know of any decent (open source or commercial) python
barcode recognition tools or libraries. I need to read barcodes from
pdfs or images, so it will involve some OCR algorithm. I also only
need to read the code 93 symbology, so it doesn't have to be very
fancy. The most important thing to me is that it outputs in some
python friendly way, or ideally that it is written in python. Any
tips would be great!

If you don't mind using a commercial Java lib, use
http://www.tasman.co.uk/bars/readme.html. I'ts not exactly cheap, but
it works very well, and support is good.

The only suggestion I can give you is: stay away from mixed
OCR/Barcode recognition software; usually they are much slower.

Regards