Python-based file synchronizer (like Unison)?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Kyler Laird, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. Kyler Laird

    Kyler Laird Guest

    I've been using Unison
    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
    for awhile and it causes me a lot of grief. I'd love to have a
    Python version which would be vastly easier to modify.

    Anyone know of anything like this? It doesn't seem like it
    should take a lot to sit on top of rsync and resolve conflicts.

    I see that someone implemented rsync in Python and that there's
    a SWIG wrapper for librsync.
    http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/projects/pysync/README
    I might have to take a whack at this on my own, but I'd prefer
    to use something better that someone has already crafted.

    Thank you.

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Kyler Laird

    Gandalf Guest

    >I've been using Unison
    > http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
    >for awhile and it causes me a lot of grief. I'd love to have a
    >Python version which would be vastly easier to modify.
    >
    >Anyone know of anything like this? It doesn't seem like it
    >should take a lot to sit on top of rsync and resolve conflicts.
    >
    >I see that someone implemented rsync in Python and that there's
    >a SWIG wrapper for librsync.
    > http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/projects/pysync/README
    >I might have to take a whack at this on my own, but I'd prefer
    >to use something better that someone has already crafted.

    Well, I have something for you called PySynchro. I wrote a simple
    client/server application
    entriely in Python. Personally I use it for synchronize source codes
    between various computers.
    It uses secure connections, authentication (OTP variant). It is plaform
    independent (I tried it
    on FreeBSD, Linux and Windows. I don't know how it works on Macs.) It is
    not a hyperspeed
    syncronizer (although it transfers the files in compressed chunks). It
    requires some popular libraries
    to be present but the main point was independency. It does not require
    any external programs /
    database servers etc. On the client side, there is a class representing
    the client interface
    and I have a wxPython UI that uses this interface to synchronize files.

    There are some problems, though. I would like to implement persistent
    file locking and auto-locking
    but it is not written yet.. It would be also possible to store
    'versions' but it is done yet. From other
    aspects, the UI interface is similar to Borland's TeamSource (with some
    major differences in the
    background). If you only want to compare and merge directories, you
    will find some useful classes
    inside.

    The code is fairly well documented (with epydoc) but the whole idea of
    the program is not.
    Let me know if you are interested. I have been using it for months
    without problems but you can be
    the first beta tester. :)

    Gandalf, Jan 20, 2004

  3. Kyler Laird

    Mark Carter Guest

    Mark Carter, Jan 20, 2004
  4. Kyler Laird

    Mark Carter Guest

    > Anyone know of anything like this? It doesn't seem like it
    > should take a lot to sit on top of rsync and resolve conflicts.

    You might also consider dfp (but it has no GUI):
    http://www.homepages.lu/pu/dfp.html

    Mark Carter, Jan 20, 2004