Python basic program problem

Amaninder Singh

Hi,
I am fairly new to python, I am trying to write simple code and It is
giving me syntax error. I am reading a book and following the
directions as it says in the book but I am not sure why it is not
working. Please guide me through. Any help appreciated.print "This is a test"

SyntaxError: invalid syntaxprint "This is a test"

SyntaxError: invalid syntax
SyntaxError: invalid syntaxprint "This is test"

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Noah Hall

Hi,
I am fairly new to python, I am trying to write simple code and It is
giving me syntax error. I am reading a book and following the
directions as it says in the book but I am not sure why it is not
working. Please guide me through. Any help appreciated.
  print "This is a test"

SyntaxError: invalid syntax
          print "This is a test"

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

SyntaxError: invalid syntax
       print "This is test"

SyntaxError: invalid syntax
Looks like you're using the 3.x version, while your guide is 2.x. I
suggest you download the 2.x version, or find a new tutorial.

HTH

Daniel Kluev

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Most likely, you are running python 3.x, while reading python 2.x book.
In python 3.x print is now ordinary function,
hello world

In future, please include full tracebacks and python version info.

Andrew Berg

Hi,
I am fairly new to python, I am trying to write simple code and It is
giving me syntax error. I am reading a book and following the
directions as it says in the book but I am not sure why it is not
working.
Looks like the book you're reading is outdated and refers to Python 2.
In Python 3, print is a function:
print('Hello there')