python book for a C programmer

Discussion in 'Python' started by Saurabh, Mar 14, 2009.

  1. Saurabh

    Saurabh Guest

    Hi all,
    I am an experienced C programmer, I have done some perl code as well.
    But while thinking about large programs,I find perl syntax a
    hinderance.
    I read Eric Raymonds article reagrding python,(http://
    www.linuxjournal.com/article/3882).

    And it kind of convinced me to learn Python,I have searched
    comp.lang.python for books,
    but there is so much information available that I feel lost,Some site
    suggests a perticular book
    is verybad, whilesome other gives it a 5star rating.

    From all the posts/article I have understood that I need atleast 2
    python books
    one from each of the 2 following categories,

    1.introduction/tutorial
    2.reference

    For introduction I am thinking about 'Learning Python' and for
    reference I am thinking about 'Python Bible'.

    I need your suggestions on this.

    Thanks in advance

    Saurabh, Mar 14, 2009

  2. Saurabh

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Saurabh <> writes:
    > Hi all,
    > I am an experienced C programmer, I have done some perl code as well.
    > But while thinking about large programs,I find perl syntax a
    > hinderance.

    I would say read the online tutorial, then "Python in a Nutshell".

    Paul Rubin, Mar 14, 2009

  3. Saurabh

    Chris Rebert Guest

    On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:29 PM, Paul Rubin <http> wrote:
    > Saurabh <> writes:
    >> Hi all,
    >> I am an experienced C programmer, I have done some perl code as well.
    >> But while thinking about large programs,I find perl syntax a
    >> hinderance.

    > I would say read the online tutorial, then "Python in a Nutshell".

    Wholeheartedly seconded!

    Cheers,
    Chris

    --
    I have a blog:
    http://blog.rebertia.com

    Chris Rebert, Mar 14, 2009
  4. Saurabh

    Saurabh Guest

    On Mar 14, 12:04 pm, Chris Rebert <> wrote:
    > On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:29 PM, Paul Rubin <http> wrote:
    > > Saurabh <> writes:
    > >> Hi all,
    > >> I am an experienced C programmer, I have done some perl code as well.
    > >> But while thinking about large programs,I find perl syntax a
    > >> hinderance.

    > > I would say read the online tutorial, then "Python in a Nutshell".

    > Wholeheartedly seconded!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris
    >
    > --
    > I have a blog:http://blog.rebertia.com

    Thanks a lot paul and chris.

    Saurabh, Mar 14, 2009
  5. On 3/13/2009 10:29 PM, Paul Rubin wrote:
    > Saurabh<> writes:
    >> > Hi all,
    >> > I am an experienced C programmer, I have done some perl code as well.
    >> > But while thinking about large programs,I find perl syntax a
    >> > hinderance.

    > I would say read the online tutorial, then "Python in a Nutshell".

    That exactly was what I did! I second that too. I knew only C/C++/Java
    fairly well before jumping into Python.

    Sridhar Ratnakumar, Mar 15, 2009
  6. Saurabh

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 22:10:37 -0700 (PDT), Saurabh <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I am an experienced C programmer, I have done some perl code as well.
    > But while thinking about large programs,I find perl syntax a
    > hinderance.
    > I read Eric Raymonds article reagrding python,(http://
    > www.linuxjournal.com/article/3882).

    I have a similar background, and I was pleased with this one:

    %A Alex Martelli
    %T Python in a nutshell
    %I O'Reilly
    %D 2003