Python Bounties

David Fraser

Tom said:
The first of its kind in South Africa

Python only commercial software shop

Trying to start virtual company with virtual developers and spread
Python acceptance ;-)

More info at

http://orderweb.co.za/open_source_developers_bounties.htm

Interesting, but you don't really specify much like the architecture you
intent to use, etc. Or the license ... which makes a big difference.
There have been a few projects to set up open marketplaces for open
source developers, but I couldn't find them using google ... anyone?

I hope you post more details soon :)

David

Paul Rubin

David Fraser said:
There have been a few projects to set up open marketplaces for open
source developers, but I couldn't find them using google ... anyone?

I hope you post more details soon :)

If that's Mark Shuttleworth's project, there was a Slashdot thread about
it a month or two ago.

David Fraser

Paul said:
If that's Mark Shuttleworth's project, there was a Slashdot thread about
it a month or two ago.

No I'm talking about open marketplaces for connecting bidders and
buyers, not individual bounty sponsorship

David

Tom

David Wilson said:
Depending on your definition, Mark Shuttleworth had something similar
beforehand, also kind of Python-centric:

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/bounty.html

David.

Hi

Bounty idea belongs to Mark who is known Python developer

If you check http://www.go-opensource.org/ you will realize that in
2005 there will be huge increase in demand for open source software
development in South Africa

If you try to find companies providing this service, there is very few

I have started http://orderweb.co.za to fill this gap

I expect lots of potential future work

Idea behind bounties is to give some of this work to Python community
and make profit at the same time

I have been using Python since 2001

I have developed portal, performed number of data migrations from one
system to another, wrote schedulers to generate settlement
instructions in mission critical environment, etc

All this has been done for largest financial institutions in S.A in
context of Securities Lending Industry. People there know who Tom is

There is opportunity to sell open source to them but service level
must be exceptional

Lots of companies find themselves hold hostage by close source
software

I witnessed this on many occasions. Amounts of money being charged for
solutions are huge

P.S.

I resigned my full time job today. From August 2004 I will work full
time on http://orderweb.co.za

Tom

David Fraser said:
Interesting, but you don't really specify much like the architecture you
intent to use, etc. Or the license ... which makes a big difference.
There have been a few projects to set up open marketplaces for open
source developers, but I couldn't find them using google ... anyone?

I hope you post more details soon :)

David

I'm still busy working on details

Mark

Hi,

This discussion is interesting. In October of last year a few of us
developed
this site:

http://www.opensourcexperts.com

specifically with the idea of facilitating the collaborative funding of
Open Source
software. The current way it was implemented has not taken off but we
are already
working on the specs of the next generation of opensourcexperts.

What we are really happy with is the amount of companies, individual
consultants,
and clients who have signed up. If you take a look at the indices of
companies listed
(only those who fill out a profile show up) this will give you an idea
of some of the people
and companies signed up.

http://www.opensourcexperts.com/Index/index_html

Cheers,