python/c api

Tony

hi,

is the python/c api extensively used? and what world-famous software
use it? thanks!

tony

Diez B. Roggisch

Tony said:
hi,

is the python/c api extensively used? and what world-famous software
use it? thanks!

It is, for a lot of extensions for python, and a lot of embedding python
into a software. For example Ableton Live, an audio sequencer. Arc GIS
has it, and the Eve Online. Many more do, I guess.

Diez

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

... and a lot of embedding python into a software.

Let me mention some notable Free Software that does this: Blender, GIMP and
Scribus, among ones I’ve messed about with recently. Makes an amazing amount
of power available.

Diez B. Roggisch

alex23 said:
I _have_ Live and I didn't realise this :O Thanks!

Well, it's not a feature for end-users, it's used internally for some
midi controller mapping stuff. Our "API" so to say is Max4Live.

But Python is used, through Boost::python.

Diez

Stefan Behnel

Tony, 14.10.2010 20:04:
is the python/c api extensively used? and what world-famous software
use it? thanks!

The Sage math system makes heavy use of it, mostly through Cython.

And the Python standard library has lots of modules that use it, e.g. zlib
and sqlite3. You can expect that most packages on PyPI that are said to be
written in other languages than Python use the C-API in one way or another.

Stefan