    is the python/c api extensively used? and what world-famous software
    use it? thanks!

    tony
    Tony, Oct 14, 2010

  2. Tony <> writes:

    > hi,
    >
    > is the python/c api extensively used? and what world-famous software
    > use it? thanks!

    It is, for a lot of extensions for python, and a lot of embedding python
    into a software. For example Ableton Live, an audio sequencer. Arc GIS
    has it, and the Eve Online. Many more do, I guess.

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Oct 14, 2010

  3. Tony

    alex23 Guest

    On Oct 15, 5:53 am, (Diez B. Roggisch) wrote:
    > For example Ableton Live, an audio sequencer.

    I _have_ Live and I didn't realise this :O Thanks!
    alex23, Oct 15, 2010
  4. In message <>, Diez B. Roggisch wrote:

    > ... and a lot of embedding python into a software.

    Let me mention some notable Free Software that does this: Blender, GIMP and
    Scribus, among ones I’ve messed about with recently. Makes an amazing amount
    of power available.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 15, 2010
  5. alex23 <> writes:

    > On Oct 15, 5:53 am, (Diez B. Roggisch) wrote:
    >> For example Ableton Live, an audio sequencer.

    > I _have_ Live and I didn't realise this :O Thanks!

    Well, it's not a feature for end-users, it's used internally for some
    midi controller mapping stuff. Our "API" so to say is Max4Live.

    But Python is used, through Boost::python.

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Oct 16, 2010
  6. Tony, 14.10.2010 20:04:
    > is the python/c api extensively used? and what world-famous software
    > use it? thanks!

    The Sage math system makes heavy use of it, mostly through Cython.

    And the Python standard library has lots of modules that use it, e.g. zlib
    and sqlite3. You can expect that most packages on PyPI that are said to be
    written in other languages than Python use the C-API in one way or another.

    Stefan
    Stefan Behnel, Oct 16, 2010