Python C extenstion and __init__.py

mwidj

I'm building python extension for some solaris specific functions. My
setup.py looks like this:

setup.py:

sol_ex = Extension('sun.solaris',
['src/solarismodule.c',
])

setup (name = "solaris",
version = "0.1",
description = "Solaris specifics system calls module",
ext_modules = [ sol_ex ],

After doing the 'python setup.py build' successfuly, I setup a test
script that looks like the following :

test.py:
import sun.solaris

After setting the PYTHONPATH to ./build/lib.solaris-2.9-sun4u-2.3 and
running the test.py, I got the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "test.py", line 1, in ?
import sun.solaris
ImportError: No module named sun.solaris

It turns out that in addition to solaris.so, I also need __init__.py
(manually created) in ./build/lib.solaris-2.9-sun4u-2.3 to make the
extension works.

My question is how do I automate the creation (in setup.py) of
__init__.py so that when I build the extension, it will also creates
__init__.py in the build directory?

Thanks