python CAD libraries?

Jayden

Are there any python CAD libraries that can

(1) build simple 3D primitives solids such as spheres, cylinders and so on
(2) perform bool operations on 3D solids
(3) better if it has some transformations such has scaling, sweeping, and lofting

Please recommend some good ones for me? Thanks a lot!!

Gary Herron

Are there any python CAD libraries that can

(1) build simple 3D primitives solids such as spheres, cylinders and so on
(2) perform bool operations on 3D solids
(3) better if it has some transformations such has scaling, sweeping, and lofting

Please recommend some good ones for me? Thanks a lot!!

Try PythonCAD: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythoncad/

(Google would have been faster. :) )

Gary Herron

david

Thank you. But this is for 2D.

Thank you. But this is for 2D.

3-d is just manipulating what's shown in x/y points(and not as easy as it sounds) .

I went with cartesian coordinate, a 360x360 canvas(with 90x90 degree view port), and a little trig for front/back/left/right/up/down, and amplitude or z distance for my first attempt, with a few others that locked a center of an object,and held point rotation, and now porting it into the Blendergame engine.

I've used maya(I think that was the name), and matplotlib, but Blender.org(open source) is great for 3d rendering/game engine, etc, and has a nice python API, with great tutorials everywhere.

If you checkout my homepage in my sig, you can see a roughdraft of somethings I was working on for it.

I'd say go with an earlier version(more tuts/examples), but they put them out pretty quick, so 2.6 my be best to start with, and it uses python 3.x.

[...]

I went with cartesian coordinate, a 360x360 canvas(with 90x90 degree view port), and a little trig for front/back/left/right/up/down, and amplitude or z distance for my first attempt, and now porting it into the Blender game engine.

[...]

David Hutto

Might have posted that too many times, I don't use the google groups that much.

Alec Taylor

Blender is definitely the most popular open-source CAD software; it
has even forked its own version of Python to make things run neatly :p

Marco Nawijn

Are there any python CAD libraries that can

(1) build simple 3D primitives solids such as spheres, cylinders and so on

(2) perform bool operations on 3D solids

(3) better if it has some transformations such has scaling, sweeping, andlofting

Please recommend some good ones for me? Thanks a lot!!

Hi Jayden,

In my opinion, the best you can get is OpenCascade (OCC) (www.opencascade.org) in combination with the python bindings (www.pythonocc.org). OCC is a hugh C++ CAD library. It not only deals with the simple geometric stuff, butit can be used to build CAD programs similar to SolidEdge or SolidWorks. It does however come with quite a steep learning curve. When using PythonOCC, the learning curve becomes a little less steep.

Also note that in my opinion, Blender cannot be considered as a CAD environment. Ofcourse it is very powerful, but I think it is more targeted towardsanimation and visually pleasing applications, not mechanical engineering.

Regards,

Marco

Jayden

Hi Jayden,

In my opinion, the best you can get is OpenCascade (OCC) (www.opencascade..org) in combination with the python bindings (www.pythonocc.org). OCC is ahugh C++ CAD library. It not only deals with the simple geometric stuff, but it can be used to build CAD programs similar to SolidEdge or SolidWorks.It does however come with quite a steep learning curve. When using PythonOCC, the learning curve becomes a little less steep.

Also note that in my opinion, Blender cannot be considered as a CAD environment. Ofcourse it is very powerful, but I think it is more targeted towards animation and visually pleasing applications, not mechanical engineering..

Regards,

Marco

Hi, Marco,

Thank you so much! This is what I exactly want. But I am a little concernedabout its steep learning curve. Is it really hard to learn pythonOCC? Averagely, how long does it take to begin to program some practical code? Do you have any good advice for me to learn it? I deeply appreciate your kind help!!

Best regards,

Jayden

Ramchandra Apte

Are there any python CAD libraries that can

(1) build simple 3D primitives solids such as spheres, cylinders and so on

(2) perform bool operations on 3D solids

(3) better if it has some transformations such has scaling, sweeping, and lofting

Please recommend some good ones for me? Thanks a lot!!

You could use Blender. It has support for Python 3 (I don't know whether it has support for Python 2)