    (2) perform bool operations on 3D solids
    (3) better if it has some transformations such has scaling, sweeping, and lofting

    Please recommend some good ones for me? Thanks a lot!!
    Jayden, Sep 10, 2012

  2. Jayden

    Gary Herron Guest

    On 09/10/2012 02:10 PM, Jayden wrote:
    > Are there any python CAD libraries that can
    >
    > (1) build simple 3D primitives solids such as spheres, cylinders and so on
    > (2) perform bool operations on 3D solids
    > (3) better if it has some transformations such has scaling, sweeping, and lofting
    >
    > Please recommend some good ones for me? Thanks a lot!!

    Try PythonCAD: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythoncad/

    (Google would have been faster. :) )

    Gary Herron

    --
    Dr. Gary Herron
    Department of Computer Science
    Gary Herron, Sep 10, 2012

  3. Jayden

    Jayden Guest

    On Monday, September 10, 2012 5:30:08 PM UTC-4, Gary Herron wrote:
    > On 09/10/2012 02:10 PM, Jayden wrote:
    >
    > > Are there any python CAD libraries that can

    > > (1) build simple 3D primitives solids such as spheres, cylinders and so on

    > > (2) perform bool operations on 3D solids

    > > (3) better if it has some transformations such has scaling, sweeping, and lofting

    > > Please recommend some good ones for me? Thanks a lot!!

    > Try PythonCAD: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythoncad/
    >

    > (Google would have been faster. :) )
    >

    > Gary Herron
    >

    > --
    >
    > Dr. Gary Herron
    >
    > Department of Computer Science
    >
    > DigiPen Institute of Technology
    >
    > (425) 895-4418

    Thank you. But this is for 2D.
    Jayden, Sep 10, 2012
  4. Jayden

    Jayden Guest

    On Monday, September 10, 2012 5:30:08 PM UTC-4, Gary Herron wrote:
    > On 09/10/2012 02:10 PM, Jayden wrote:
    >
    > > Are there any python CAD libraries that can

    > > (1) build simple 3D primitives solids such as spheres, cylinders and so on

    > > (2) perform bool operations on 3D solids

    > > (3) better if it has some transformations such has scaling, sweeping, and lofting

    > > Please recommend some good ones for me? Thanks a lot!!

    > Try PythonCAD: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythoncad/
    >

    > (Google would have been faster. :) )
    >

    > Gary Herron
    >

    > --
    >
    > Dr. Gary Herron
    >
    > Department of Computer Science
    >
    > DigiPen Institute of Technology
    >
    > (425) 895-4418

    Thank you. But this is for 2D.
    Jayden, Sep 10, 2012
  5. Jayden

    david Guest

    > Thank you. But this is for 2D.

    Thank you. But this is for 2D.

    3-d is just manipulating what's shown in x/y points(and not as easy as it sounds) .

    I went with cartesian coordinate, a 360x360 canvas(with 90x90 degree view port), and a little trig for front/back/left/right/up/down, and amplitude or z distance for my first attempt, with a few others that locked a center of an object,and held point rotation, and now porting it into the Blendergame engine.

    I've used maya(I think that was the name), and matplotlib, but Blender.org(open source) is great for 3d rendering/game engine, etc, and has a nice python API, with great tutorials everywhere.

    If you checkout my homepage in my sig, you can see a roughdraft of somethings I was working on for it.

    I'd say go with an earlier version(more tuts/examples), but they put them out pretty quick, so 2.6 my be best to start with, and it uses python 3.x.

    --
    Best Regards,
    David Hutto
    david, Sep 11, 2012
  6. Jayden

    david Guest

    david, Sep 11, 2012
  7. Jayden

    david Guest

    Thank you. But this is for 2D.

    3-d is just manipulating what's shown in x/y points(and not as easy as it sounds) .

    I went with cartesian coordinate, a 360x360 canvas(with 90x90 degree view port), and a little trig for front/back/left/right/up/down, and amplitude or z distance for my first attempt, and now porting it into the Blender game engine.

    david, Sep 11, 2012
  9. Jayden

    David Hutto Guest

    David Hutto, Sep 11, 2012
  10. Jayden

    David Hutto Guest

    David Hutto, Sep 11, 2012
  11. Jayden

    Alec Taylor Guest

    Blender is definitely the most popular open-source CAD software; it
    has even forked its own version of Python to make things run neatly :p

    Alec Taylor, Sep 11, 2012
  12. Jayden

    Marco Nawijn Guest

    On Monday, September 10, 2012 11:10:55 PM UTC+2, Jayden wrote:
    > Are there any python CAD libraries that can
    >

    > (1) build simple 3D primitives solids such as spheres, cylinders and so on
    >
    > (2) perform bool operations on 3D solids
    >
    > (3) better if it has some transformations such has scaling, sweeping, andlofting
    >

    > Please recommend some good ones for me? Thanks a lot!!

    Hi Jayden,

    In my opinion, the best you can get is OpenCascade (OCC) (www.opencascade.org) in combination with the python bindings (www.pythonocc.org). OCC is a hugh C++ CAD library. It not only deals with the simple geometric stuff, butit can be used to build CAD programs similar to SolidEdge or SolidWorks. It does however come with quite a steep learning curve. When using PythonOCC, the learning curve becomes a little less steep.

    Also note that in my opinion, Blender cannot be considered as a CAD environment. Ofcourse it is very powerful, but I think it is more targeted towardsanimation and visually pleasing applications, not mechanical engineering.

    Regards,

    Marco
    Marco Nawijn, Sep 11, 2012
  13. Jayden

    Jayden Guest

    On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:42:56 AM UTC-4, Marco Nawijn wrote:
    > On Monday, September 10, 2012 11:10:55 PM UTC+2, Jayden wrote:
    >
    > > Are there any python CAD libraries that can

    > > (1) build simple 3D primitives solids such as spheres, cylinders and soon

    > > (2) perform bool operations on 3D solids

    > > (3) better if it has some transformations such has scaling, sweeping, and lofting

    > > Please recommend some good ones for me? Thanks a lot!!

    > Hi Jayden,
    >

    > In my opinion, the best you can get is OpenCascade (OCC) (www.opencascade..org) in combination with the python bindings (www.pythonocc.org). OCC is ahugh C++ CAD library. It not only deals with the simple geometric stuff, but it can be used to build CAD programs similar to SolidEdge or SolidWorks.It does however come with quite a steep learning curve. When using PythonOCC, the learning curve becomes a little less steep.
    >

    > Also note that in my opinion, Blender cannot be considered as a CAD environment. Ofcourse it is very powerful, but I think it is more targeted towards animation and visually pleasing applications, not mechanical engineering..
    >

    > Regards,
    >

    > Marco

    Hi, Marco,

    Thank you so much! This is what I exactly want. But I am a little concernedabout its steep learning curve. Is it really hard to learn pythonOCC? Averagely, how long does it take to begin to program some practical code? Do you have any good advice for me to learn it? I deeply appreciate your kind help!!

    Best regards,

    Jayden
    Jayden, Sep 12, 2012
  14. On Tuesday, 11 September 2012 02:40:55 UTC+5:30, Jayden wrote:
    > Are there any python CAD libraries that can
    >

    > (1) build simple 3D primitives solids such as spheres, cylinders and so on
    >
    > (2) perform bool operations on 3D solids
    >
    > (3) better if it has some transformations such has scaling, sweeping, and lofting
    >

    > Please recommend some good ones for me? Thanks a lot!!

    You could use Blender. It has support for Python 3 (I don't know whether it has support for Python 2)
    Ramchandra Apte, Sep 12, 2012