Python certification

srinivasan srinivas

Hi,
I m planning to do certification in Python??
Is therr any good certification available in Python like Sun certification for java??

Thanks,
Sirni

Bruno Desthuilliers

srinivasan srinivas a écrit :
Hi,
I m planning to do certification in Python??
Is therr any good certification available in Python like Sun certification for java??

Yes, indeed : actively contribute to some major python project (or even
better to the language itself or its stdlib), and become an helpful
regular here.

!-)

Gosh - i HATE this "certification" racket bizness. The only thing they
"certify" is that you paid the fees. period.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Why the question marks? Are you asking us whether this is true?

Perhaps he's one of those people who end sentences with a rising inflection?
Found among Australasians, possibly elsewhere?

Python Nutter

Yeah. The day Python goes Certification required to get a job is the day I
quit Python forever and move on to another language.

Certification prooves you're an idiot who needs to spend money to work
for another idiot who doesn't know enough about programming to know if
they hire competent programmers and need an idiot paper to make them
feel better and sleep better at night.

Eric Wertman

So true !
+1 QOTW

While in the current state of affairs I agree completely, I do think
that IT in general would be a much better field to work in if there
were some industry standard certifications that were required. More
like the medical and legal fields than the vendor specific ones we see
today from Microsoft, IBM, etc.

Eric

Bruno Desthuilliers

Eric Wertman a écrit :
While in the current state of affairs I agree completely, I do think
that IT in general would be a much better field to work in if there
were some industry standard certifications that were required. More
like the medical and legal fields than the vendor specific ones we see
today from Microsoft, IBM, etc.

I've seen my share of totally incompetent doctors and lawyers... And
given current "IT industry standards" (J2EE code monkeys anyone ?), I
wouldn't bet a single cent on what kind of "certification" they could
come with.

Bruno Desthuilliers

Eric Wertman a écrit :
To draw an analogy... imagine, if you will, a system where
pharmaceutical companies are the leading source of doctor
certifications.

Ain't that already the case ?

Terry Reedy

Eric said:
While in the current state of affairs I agree completely, I do think
that IT in general would be a much better field to work in if there
were some industry standard certifications that were required. More
like the medical and legal fields than the vendor specific ones we see
today from Microsoft, IBM, etc.

Given the way that medical/legal licensing is used to stifle
competition, prevent innovation, and keep people from earning a living
delivering simple services that people need at prices they can afford,
'more like' would have to be done very carefully.

Eric Wertman

Given the way that medical/legal licensing is used to stifle competition,
prevent innovation, and keep people from earning a living delivering simple
services that people need at prices they can afford, 'more like' would have
to be done very carefully.

To draw an analogy... imagine, if you will, a system where
pharmaceutical companies are the leading source of doctor
certifications. While I'm sure there are many valid arguments that
would show today's system is far from perfect, I'm thinking that would
be a worse horror by some order of magnitude.

Terry Reedy

Eric said:
To draw an analogy... imagine, if you will, a system where
pharmaceutical companies are the leading source of doctor
certifications. While I'm sure there are many valid arguments that
would show today's system is far from perfect, I'm thinking that would
be a worse horror by some order of magnitude.

If pharmaceutical companies had more influence on licensing people to
make drug suggestions/prescriptions, I suspect they would give more
power to nurses and pharmacists to make such suggestions, to the
improvement of health care in America. America's legal care system is
*way* far from perfect, especially in the civil sphere, though I read it
is even more wretched elsewhere.

I would hate to live in a world where you had to have three years of
graduate professional training to write a for-loop for pay, or where
scientists and mathematicians were prohibited from writing code
(practicing software) without a license. Or where someone who just
wanted to practice Python had to first master assembly.

I would be interested to hear if you know something about medical/legal
exams, quite aside from there use as legal cudgels, that would
contribute to (carefully) improving voluntary computer training and exams.