    regards
    Prabahar

    Too much spam in your inbox? Yahoo! Mail gives you the best spam protection for FREE! http://in.mail.yahoo.com

    praba kar, Jul 30, 2005

  2. Re: Python-cgi web or Perl-cgi script doubt

    praba kar wrote:
    > I want to know difference between
    > Python-cgi and Perl-cgi and also I want
    > to which one is efficient from the performance.

    Possibly the most important difference between the two is when you're using
    JUST cgi - ie no mod_perl, no mod_python, etc. With python, if your cgi is
    structured to use more than one file, then your programs can be compiled
    and stored on disk (compiled to something called bytecode). This can just
    be loaded and executed immediately on subsequent runs.

    With perl, the program needs to be loaded and recompiled with each run.

    For small CGI systems this difference is negligible, but for large CGI based
    systems (eg when using a large framework), these differences can become
    very important - if you do not have the option to use mod_perl/mod_python
    or similar.

    However, many people running large web systems do tend to use mod_perl and
    friends when using perl which discounts this argument pretty much
    completely.

    That said, I'd suggest looking to see *what* you want to do, look at what
    *tools* are available and *then* decide which *language* to use. Personally
    I find python nicer for this sort of things these days - larger because it
    naturally encourages better strutcure. (And this is after having using perl
    day-in, day-out for 5 years, and still liking perl :)

    Hope that's of some use,

    Michael.

    Michael Sparks, Jul 30, 2005