Python Challenge ahead [NEW] for riddle lovers

Dan Bishop

Roel said:
Me too. I've tried making different images out of the even and the odd
pixels, but nothing interesting happened. I tried to combine both images
in various ways (using the Gimp), but that also seemed to be a dead
end.

You only got 2 images?

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

Split them again to get 4 images with (even, even), (even, odd), (odd,
even), and (odd, odd) coordinates. Two of the resulting images will be
useful.

mstarzyk

Any hints on level 6 ?
There is "zip" in the page source, "ZIp" in the
image data, but have no clue what to do with them
- tried many things :).

Thanks,
Maciek

John Hazen

Any hints on level 6 ?
There is "zip" in the page source, "ZIp" in the
image data, but have no clue what to do with them
- tried many things :).

Have you found the zip file yet?

(I did, and I still can't figure it out. I'm wondering if there are
comments embedded in the jpg that none of my viewers will show me.
Hmm, maybe there's a python module that does that... I'll play with it
more after I sleep on it.)

-John

Reinhold Birkenfeld

John said:
Have you found the zip file yet?

(I did, and I still can't figure it out. I'm wondering if there are
comments embedded in the jpg that none of my viewers will show me.
Hmm, maybe there's a python module that does that... I'll play with it
more after I sleep on it.)

It's best when you use the zipfile module.

*** SPOILER ***

Look carefully at the ZipInfo class for every file in the archive.

Ganesan Rajagopal

I am stuck on level 3. I've tried every re that I can think of. Some body
give me a clue.

Ganesan

Maciek Starzyk

Have you found the zip file yet?

Now I have it. Thanks :)
(I did, and I still can't figure it out. I'm wondering if there are
comments embedded in the jpg that none of my viewers will show me.
Hmm, maybe there's a python module that does that... I'll play with it
more after I sleep on it.)

Hint: Use Python module 'zipfile' :)

Thanks again,

Roel Schroeven

John said:
Have you found the zip file yet?

(I did, and I still can't figure it out. I'm wondering if there are
comments embedded in the jpg that none of my viewers will show me.
Hmm, maybe there's a python module that does that... I'll play with it
more after I sleep on it.)

-John

Possible spoiler, so ROT13'ed:

Qvq lbh frr naq ernq gur ernqzr.gkg va gur mvc svyr?

Roel Schroeven

Dan said:
end.

You only got 2 images?

*** SPOILER ALERT ***
[...]

Is that on the original image, or the new one? I solved it with the new
one, but I'm still unable to do find the solution using the original one.

darren kirby

quoth the Ganesan Rajagopal:

--
Ganesan Rajagopal
t = /text of page source.../

You should get ten results. Consider all ten together to get your solution...

-d

Reinhold Birkenfeld

darren said:
quoth the Ganesan Rajagopal:
I am stuck on level 3. I've tried every re that I can think of. Some body
give me a clue.

Ganesan

--
Ganesan Rajagopal
t = /text of page source.../
re.findall('[a-z][A-Z]{3}[a-z]{1}[A-Z]{3}[a-z]', t)

You should get ten results. Consider all ten together to get your solution...

Somehow writing '[a-z]{1}' is strange...

Reinhold

John Hazen

* Reinhold Birkenfeld said:
It's best when you use the zipfile module.

Cool. I had just unzipped the zipfile, and was looking at the files
directly. The comments weren't added to the files in the OS, so I was
only thinking about jpeg comments (since the photo was also a "zip").

I love the way this challenge is making me poke into pieces of the
library I've never used before. :)

-John

darren kirby

quoth the Reinhold Birkenfeld:
Somehow writing '[a-z]{1}' is strange...

Reinhold
t = /text of page source.../
re.findall('[a-z][A-Z]{3}[a-z][A-Z]{3}[a-z]', t)

Sorry dude! When it comes to logic puzzles I am easily frustrated, and that
leads to unclear thinking...

-d

Dan Christensen

Reinhold Birkenfeld said:
Anyone solved 12? Hints?

**hint below**

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

Look at the filename for the first image you see, and make a guess at
another filename.

Dan

Ganesan Rajagopal

darren" == darren kirby said:
quoth the Ganesan Rajagopal:
I am stuck on level 3. I've tried every re that I can think of. Some body
give me a clue.

Ganesan

--
Ganesan Rajagopal
t = /text of page source.../
re.findall('[a-z][A-Z]{3}[a-z]{1}[A-Z]{3}[a-z]', t)
You should get ten results. Consider all ten together to get your
solution...

Ah, thanks. I tried having both sides identical, no results. Then I tried
the above re but stopped at the first result :-(.

Ganesan

John Hazen

* Dan Bishop said:
You mean "evil1.jpg"?
yup.

I've made tons of guesses, but none of them worked :-(

Hmmm. The title of the html page is "dealing evil". If you were
playing war instead of solitaire, how would you change how you deal the
cards?

-John

P.S. - I think I've found everything, but still haven't figured out what
to do with it. No hints yet, though. I want to think about it some
more...

Dan Bishop

John said:
Hmmm. The title of the html page is "dealing evil". If you were
playing war instead of solitaire, how would you change how you deal the
cards?

Well, I'd deal them into 2 piles, and...

Damn! That was an obscure hint!

Now, how do I open *.gfx files?

Reinhold Birkenfeld

Dan said:
Well, I'd deal them into 2 piles, and...

Damn! That was an obscure hint!

Now, how do I open *.gfx files?

You don't directly.

Hint: gfx stands for?