Python Challenge ahead [NEW] for riddle lovers

Roel Schroeven

John said:
Hmmm. The title of the html page is "dealing evil". If you were
playing war instead of solitaire, how would you change how you deal the
cards?

Hm, I'm not familiar with playing war. You couldn't elaborate a bit on
that, could you?

Roel Schroeven

Roel said:
John Hazen wrote:

Hm, I'm not familiar with playing war. You couldn't elaborate a bit on
that, could you?

Never mind, I got it anyway now.

Chris McAloney

Hi all,

Okay, so I've been working on level seven for a LONG time now. I've
decoded the first message to get the hint for the next level. Using the
same tactics, then I decode the hint as well, but there are non-printable
characters. I've tried stripping out those characters, quoting them to
include in the URL and various anagrams of the printable characters, but
nothing works. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

-chris

Roel Schroeven

Chris said:
Hi all,

Okay, so I've been working on level seven for a LONG time now. I've
decoded the first message to get the hint for the next level. Using the
same tactics, then I decode the hint as well, but there are non-printable
characters. I've tried stripping out those characters, quoting them to
include in the URL and various anagrams of the printable characters, but
nothing works. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I just took a guess for the first of those non-printable characters, and
proceeded from there. I thought it was going to be too simplistic, but
it worked. And fortunately my first guess was the right one.

Dan Christensen

Roel Schroeven said:
I just took a guess for the first of those non-printable characters, and
proceeded from there. I thought it was going to be too simplistic, but
it worked. And fortunately my first guess was the right one.

Hmm, I didn't get any non-printable characters, just a regular English
word to be used to get to level 8. I think you guys must be doing
something wrong...

Dan

Roel Schroeven

Dan said:
Hmm, I didn't get any non-printable characters, just a regular English
word to be used to get to level 8. I think you guys must be doing
something wrong...

Indeed, and I found out what was wrong. The puzzle is much nicer now.

Tiziano Bettio

PLEASE HELP...

What the hell do i have to pronounce in puzzle 5????

Some useful hints would be awesome

thx

Tim Peters

[Chris McAloney]
Okay, so I've been working on level seven for a LONG time now.

Hmm. I've been staring at that one 18 hours a day since last Friday,
and still don't have the foggiest idea. I've counted boxes, counted
pixels, broken it apart and rearranged it like a jigsaw puzzle, ran
"strings" over the .png, ..., all in vain.
I've decoded the first message to get the hint for the next level.

It's not nice to humilate your elders in public, Chris.
Using the same tactics, then I decode the hint as well, but there are
non-printable characters. I've tried stripping out those characters,
quoting them to include in the URL and various anagrams of the printable
characters, but nothing works. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Count boxes, count pixels, break it apart and rearrange it like a
jigsaw puzzle, run "strings" over it ... I have a lot of useless
suggestions, anyway.

Tim Peters

[Tiziano Bettio]
PLEASE HELP...

What the hell do i have to pronounce in puzzle 5????

Some useful hints would be awesome

That's a funny one: I didn't understand the "pronounce it" hint until
long after I solved that one. Then again, Guido & I implemented PEP
307, so I knew what to do the instant I saw the file <wink>.

Tiziano Bettio

Tim said:
[Tiziano Bettio]

PLEASE HELP...

What the hell do i have to pronounce in puzzle 5????

Some useful hints would be awesome

That's a funny one: I didn't understand the "pronounce it" hint until
long after I solved that one. Then again, Guido & I implemented PEP
307, so I knew what to do the instant I saw the file <wink>.
well finally also i got the hint... but what to do on the next page that
follows???? i don't seem to get to puzzle 6...

greets

Leif K-Brooks

Chris said:
Okay, so I've been working on level seven for a LONG time now. I've
decoded the first message to get the hint for the next level. Using the
same tactics, then I decode the hint as well, but there are non-printable
characters.

Frira be srjre pbcvrf bs gur fnzr cvkry va n ebj ner bar punenpgre, ohg
rvtug cvkryf ner gjb punenpgref.

Dan Christensen

Tim Peters said:
[Chris McAloney]
Okay, so I've been working on level seven for a LONG time now.

Hmm. I've been staring at that one 18 hours a day since last Friday,
and still don't have the foggiest idea. I've counted boxes, counted
pixels, broken it apart and rearranged it like a jigsaw puzzle, ran
"strings" over the .png, ..., all in vain.

*** small hint below ***

*** a bit further ***

Did you look at the RGB values of the pixels?

Dan

Tim Peters

[Tim Peters, whines about level 7]

[Dan Christensen, gives a huge hint]

The first time I looked at it, I thought "hmm, I should use PIL for
this". I kept thinking that too <wink> -- but for some reason wanted
to see if there was a clear way to do it without something that
"fancy". I eventually gave up and did the obvious thing (and of
course that worked).

simple's-good-but-braindead-simple-ain't-always-enough-ly y'rs - tim

Chris McAloney

Hmm. I've been staring at that one 18 hours a day since last Friday,

I'm very relieved to hear that I'm not the only one, then.
It's not nice to humilate your elders in public, Chris.

No humiliation was intended -- I was simply trying to use this fact as a
form of currency to hopefully barter myself a useful hint. ;-)

-chris

Chris McAloney

Frira be srjre pbcvrf bs gur fnzr cvkry va n ebj ner bar punenpgre, ohg
rvtug cvkryf ner gjb punenpgref.

Oh dear. I would **never** have gotten this on my own. I mean that, too,
since I discarded adjacent duplicates and used the "trimmed"
(equivalently: "wrong") version as my ground truth.

Thanks very much.

-chris

.... and now on to number eight ...

Martijn Pieters

Dan said:
Any hints for level 13? I know how to make a call, but don't know "who"
to call.

I haven't figured this one out yet either. Rather frustrating really.
All the hints I've been given so far is to rmember the solution for
level 12.

Banging-my-head-against-it-didn't-help-either-ly yours,

Martijn Pieters

Roel Schroeven

Martijn said:
I haven't figured this one out yet either. Rather frustrating really.
All the hints I've been given so far is to rmember the solution for
level 12.

You don't really need the remember the solution; it's more the process
that led you to find the solution.

Michael Spencer

Martijn said:
I haven't figured this one out yet either. Rather frustrating really.
All the hints I've been given so far is to rmember the solution for
level 12.

Banging-my-head-against-it-didn't-help-either-ly yours,

Martijn Pieters
Same here. BTW I was unable to open one of the objects created in level 12. It
didn't stop me guessing the answer based on the others, but now I wonder whether
I might need the missing piece for level 13. Anyone else encounter this?

Michael

Martijn Pieters

Michael said:
Same here. BTW I was unable to open one of the objects created in level 12. It
didn't stop me guessing the answer based on the others, but now I wonder whether
I might need the missing piece for level 13. Anyone else encounter this?

Nope, that piece is just a truncated version that opens fine otherwise
in Firefox which then gives you the piece that you correctly guessed at;
no hints there.

Martijn Pieters

Martijn Pieters

Roel said:
You don't really need the remember the solution; it's more the process
that led you to find the solution.

Yup, I do remember the process, and it hasn't been any help so far.. no
adjustable URLs leading to interesting files, no 'dealable' images, no nada.

Martijn Pieters