Python & chess

Discussion in 'Python' started by Paolo Pantaleo, Aug 24, 2006.

  1. Paolo Pantaleo, Aug 24, 2006

  2. Paolo Pantaleo

    tobiah Guest

    Paolo Pantaleo wrote:
    > Well Python is not a good language for writing a chess engine

    I'm curious; how does python fall short here, and what are the
    features that make some other language more suitable for the
    task?

    Toby

    tobiah, Aug 24, 2006

  3. Paolo Pantaleo

    Will McGugan Guest

    Paolo Pantaleo wrote:
    > Well Python is not a good language for writing a chess engine (even if
    > a chess engine exists:
    > http://www.kolumbus.fi/jyrki.alakuijala/pychess.html), but it could be
    > grat for chess interfaces, for drawing boards, and similar things. I
    > foudn out a library for these things
    > (http://www.alcyone.com/software/chess/). Does anyone konw about more
    > chess related modules?

    I have written a chess module that may be of use to you.

    http://www.willmcgugan.com/2006/06/18/chesspy/

    Will McGugan
    --
    work: http://www.kelpiesoft.com
    blog: http://www.willmcgugan.com

    Will McGugan, Aug 24, 2006
  4. Paolo Pantaleo

    Laszlo Nagy Guest

    tobiah írta:
    > Paolo Pantaleo wrote:
    >
    >> Well Python is not a good language for writing a chess engine
    >>

    > I'm curious; how does python fall short here, and what are the
    > features that make some other language more suitable for the
    > task?

    Hmmm. I think that if you need to write a very clever chess game, then
    you need to use very fast routines, written in C or even assembly. I
    have heard that the best chess programs use a database. That database
    contains hundreds of thousands of games played previously by famous
    chess players. Usually they play the first few steps by using this
    database (and not using any AI).

    Do you plan to beat "Chessmaster"? :) If you only want to try your AI
    abilities, then Python is ideal for the task. At least this is my opinion.

    Laszlo

    Laszlo Nagy, Aug 24, 2006
  5. Paolo Pantaleo

    tobiah Guest

    > Hmmm. I think that if you need to write a very clever chess game, then
    > you need to use very fast routines, written in C or even assembly.

    Oh, right. Speed. I thought that you were talking about
    some mismatch of capabilities.

    Toby

    tobiah, Aug 24, 2006
  6. Paolo Pantaleo