Python / Chinese Encodings

Achim Domma

Hi,

I need to convert Big5 or GB encoded chinese strings to unicode. It would
be also nice to be able to detect the encoding of the original string.
Search with groups.google.com I found some links to different projects but
they all look not very active. Can somebody give me a short overview of the
status of processing chinese texts with python?

regards,
Achim

Martin v. =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=

Achim Domma said:
I need to convert Big5 or GB encoded chinese strings to unicode. It would
be also nice to be able to detect the encoding of the original string.
Search with groups.google.com I found some links to different projects but
they all look not very active. Can somebody give me a short overview of the
status of processing chinese texts with python?

The very short summary: Use the CJK codecs package; it supports all
encodings you might encounter, and it is actively maintained.

As for detecting the encoding of the original string: Forget it. Tell
your communication partners to always properly declare the encoding.

Regards,
Martin