    --
    Dr. rer. nat. Uwe Schmitt http://www.procoders.net
    "A service to open source is a service to mankind."
    Uwe Schmitt, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Uwe Schmitt

    Tim Churches Guest

    On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 00:27, Uwe Schmitt wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I found several Python bindings for the MPI protocol,
    > can anybody report some opinions and experiences ?

    Peter Christen and I have used Ole Nielsen's PyPar package (see
    http://datamining.anu.edu.au/~ole/pypar/) in our Febrl probabilistic
    record linkage engine (see
    http://datamining.anu.edu.au/projects/linkage.html) with excellent
    results. I have also been experimenting with its use in a parallel data
    summarisation engine. It is easy to install and is very easy to use,
    mainly because it only wraps a small portion of MPI - but just those
    parts you really need (at least we haven't missed anything yet). Its
    ability to pass any picklable Python object around the cluster is a real
    bonus, and the speed at which it passes Numeric Python arrays using
    "raw" mode is very impressive. Ole is also very helpful, and is actively
    involved in parallel computing work on a daily basis (using PyPar, no
    doubt).

    --

    Tim C

    PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
    or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
    Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0

    Tim Churches, Jul 9, 2003