Python COM Makepy Excel 9.0 error

Discussion in 'Python' started by nvhengr@gmail.com, Feb 10, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Has anyone seen this? When I run the COM Makepy utility and choose
    Microsoft Excel 9.0 Object Library (1.3), I get an application error
    message:

    PythonWin: Pythonwin.exe - Application Error
    The instruction at "0x77fcc87" referenced memory at "0x0307a705". The
    memory could not be "read".

    I do not get this error when I choose the Microsoft Office 9.0 Object
    Library (2.1).

    I have tried this from one other computer and got a similar error
    message. I looked all over the 'net for enlightenment and have so far
    been unsuccessful. Does anyone have an idea what can be going on and
    how to get around it?

    I am using Python 2.4 under Windows 2000SP4. I have also installed
    pywin32 (build 203 for Python 2.4) and py2exe-0.5.4 for Python 2.4.

    Python 2.3 and the COM Makepy utility (Python 2.3 version) seems to run
    okay.

    I am writing a rather complicated set of instructions to manipulate a
    series of Excel 2000 spreadsheets and have already added quite a few of
    the features from Python 2.4, so I hope I do not have to revert back to
    Python 2.3. Any suggestions?

    Thank you, in advance,
    Christopher D. Morgan, P.E., Ph.D.
    , Feb 10, 2005

  2. Jim Sizelove Guest

    wrote:
    > Has anyone seen this? When I run the COM Makepy utility and choose
    > Microsoft Excel 9.0 Object Library (1.3), I get an application error
    > message:
    >
    > PythonWin: Pythonwin.exe - Application Error
    > The instruction at "0x77fcc87" referenced memory at "0x0307a705". The
    > memory could not be "read".
    >
    > I do not get this error when I choose the Microsoft Office 9.0 Object
    > Library (2.1).
    >
    > I have tried this from one other computer and got a similar error
    > message. I looked all over the 'net for enlightenment and have so far
    > been unsuccessful. Does anyone have an idea what can be going on and
    > how to get around it?
    >
    > I am using Python 2.4 under Windows 2000SP4. I have also installed
    > pywin32 (build 203 for Python 2.4) and py2exe-0.5.4 for Python 2.4.
    >
    > Python 2.3 and the COM Makepy utility (Python 2.3 version) seems to run
    > okay.
    >
    > I am writing a rather complicated set of instructions to manipulate a
    > series of Excel 2000 spreadsheets and have already added quite a few of
    > the features from Python 2.4, so I hope I do not have to revert back to
    > Python 2.3. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you, in advance,
    > Christopher D. Morgan, P.E., Ph.D.

    I experienced similar problems when moving some code from Python 2.3 to
    Python 2.4. Seems that running "makepy -d ..." works. See Mark
    Hammond's explanation at:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-win32/2004-December/002743.html
    [python-win32] WMI scripting makepy error with ActivePython 2.4.0

    HTH,
    Jim Sizelove
    Jim Sizelove, Feb 10, 2005

  3. Chris Guest