Python command line error

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mick Duprez, May 29, 2007.

  1. Mick Duprez

    Mick Duprez Guest

    Hi All,

    I've installed Python 2.5 on a number of machines but on one I'm
    having problems with the CLI.
    If I fire up the 'cmd' dos box and type 'python' I get a line of
    gibberish and it locks up the cli, if I run the 'command' dos box I
    get a few lines of garbage and it crashes/closes the dos box.

    I've tried a re-install, checked my system paths etc but I can't get
    it to work, it works ok for running scripts from a dbl click in
    explorer for instance and from Idle, I just can't run scripts from the
    command line.

    I have installed -
    xp pro sp2
    Python25
    wxPython2.8 unicode
    PIL
    numpy

    any clues to what's causing this behavior?
    tia,
    Mick.

    Mick Duprez, May 29, 2007

  2. Mick Duprez

    Max Erickson Guest

    Mick Duprez <> wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've installed Python 2.5 on a number of machines but on one I'm
    > having problems with the CLI.
    > If I fire up the 'cmd' dos box and type 'python' I get a line of
    > gibberish and it locks up the cli, if I run the 'command' dos box
    > I get a few lines of garbage and it crashes/closes the dos box.
    >
    > I've tried a re-install, checked my system paths etc but I can't
    > get it to work, it works ok for running scripts from a dbl click
    > in explorer for instance and from Idle, I just can't run scripts
    > from the command line.
    >
    > I have installed -
    > xp pro sp2
    > Python25
    > wxPython2.8 unicode
    > PIL
    > numpy
    >
    > any clues to what's causing this behavior?
    > tia,
    > Mick.

    What kind of gibberish? Actual garbage characters and the like?

    Anyway, maybe try running which; this one should be easy to get
    going:

    http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/which.htm

    But I have never used it, I use the one in this package:

    http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

    It expects 'python.exe' or whatever, not just 'python', I would
    expect the gnuwin32 version to behave similarly.

    max

    Max Erickson, May 29, 2007

  3. Mick Duprez

    Mick Duprez Guest

    On May 29, 11:33 am, Max Erickson <> wrote:
    > Mick Duprez <> wrote:
    > > Hi All,

    > > I've installed Python 2.5 on a number of machines but on one I'm
    > > having problems with the CLI.
    > > If I fire up the 'cmd' dos box and type 'python' I get a line of
    > > gibberish and it locks up the cli, if I run the 'command' dos box
    > > I get a few lines of garbage and it crashes/closes the dos box.

    > > I've tried a re-install, checked my system paths etc but I can't
    > > get it to work, it works ok for running scripts from a dbl click
    > > in explorer for instance and from Idle, I just can't run scripts
    > > from the command line.

    > > I have installed -
    > > xp pro sp2
    > > Python25
    > > wxPython2.8 unicode
    > > PIL
    > > numpy

    > > any clues to what's causing this behavior?
    > > tia,
    > > Mick.

    > What kind of gibberish? Actual garbage characters and the like?
    >
    > Anyway, maybe try running which; this one should be easy to get
    > going:
    >
    > http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/which.htm
    >
    > But I have never used it, I use the one in this package:
    >
    > http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > It expects 'python.exe' or whatever, not just 'python', I would
    > expect the gnuwin32 version to behave similarly.
    >
    > max

    Thanks Max, I just worked it out just before I read your post...doh!
    I have cygwin on this machine also and the cygwin/bin path was before
    the Python25 path so it was playing up, I put the Python25 path before
    the cygwin stuff and it's fixed.
    It's always something simple!
    Cheers,
    Mick.