    I'm also have a not a very good English, so I need help with it too,
    because some parts of checkio.org not in very well English

    Thanks!

    Alexander Lyabah, Apr 30, 2011

  2. Alexander Lyabah

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 4/30/2011 3:22 PM, Alexander Lyabah wrote:

    > I spend a lot of time in writing a new service checkio.org
    >
    > It's all about python, learn python, find the best solution in
    > python.
    >
    > And Im looking for feedback from peoples who best in python. Here I
    > make some video tutorial about this service http://checkio.blip.tv/
    >
    > What do you think about it?

    Pretty impressive. My main disappointment is that you are using 2.7
    instead of 3.2, as I feel that beginners should learn Py 3 now. Also,
    that is what I routinely use ;-).

    In any case, the home page should say Python 2.7, not just Python, I had
    to think to click Console Learn in order to find out what would be legal
    when I tried out one of the tasks.

    You might consider offering 3.2 as an alternative. Solutions will be
    similar, but details differ. For instance, I noticed that one solution
    to 'string split' *depends* on the 2.x leaking of listcomp loop variables.

    > I'm also have a not a very good English, so I need help with it too,
    > because some parts of checkio.org not in very well English

    Home page: "In the descriptions of this tasks there is always
    information from manuals and tutorials," 'these tasks'

    "game.Choice a game " => "game. Choose a game "
    "users. Choice a game" => again, 'Choose'

    "and fall into the top " I think you mean "and climb into the top "

    "programs on arena. " => "program in the arena. "

    "By the result of competition formed top of the game. "
    This is unclear. perhaps "The best will be chosen by the result of the
    competition."

    I see a mailto: link at the bottom of the page, so I will report
    anything else I see later.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Apr 30, 2011

  3. Alexander Lyabah

    harrismh777 Guest

    Terry Reedy wrote:
    >> And Im looking for feedback from peoples who best in python. Here I
    >> make some video tutorial about this service http://checkio.blip.tv/

    >> What do you think about it?

    > Pretty impressive. My main disappointment is that you are using 2.7
    > instead of 3.2, as I feel that beginners should learn Py 3 now. Also,
    > that is what I routinely use ;-).

    > In any case, the home page should say Python 2.7, not just Python,

    I agree on all points, as well I would offer the suggestion to have
    parallel examples (in some cases) to help those trying to merge over to
    Python3.

    But the most important point is that new users should start with 3.x,
    and should be encouraged to in that direction alone. I am finding it
    very frustrating trying to make all of the details changes solid in my
    mind for 3.x because there are so many of them for one, and for another
    because the details are so similar all at the same time. *Do not*
    confuse new learners with 2.x unless there is a point to it... for
    instance in our previous discussion of iterables-- noting that next() is
    the same for both versions, but in 2.x next(N) means N.next() and in
    version 3.x next(N) means N.__next__().

    Otherwise, have new students hit 3.x running and never look back.

    kind regards,
    m harris

    harrismh777, May 1, 2011
  4. Alexander Lyabah

    harrismh777 Guest

    Alexander Lyabah wrote:
    > What do you think about it?
    >
    > I'm also have a not a very good English, so I need help with it too,

    Alexander, your site is very interesting. I spent some time this
    afternoon appreciating your work. Nice job.

    Be encouraged, your English is much better than my Russian! I also
    looked over the orphanage site and I appreciate how much you are doing
    there in Ukraine for the children. Keep up the good work.

    I too am a little disappointed that Python3 is not being used. I want to
    encourage you to work in that direction as well. I may have some time to
    volunteer to checkio.org; for help with the English, and maybe with some
    help as a tester. We'll see... I have a lot of my own fish to fry here,
    as we say in America.

    Blessings on your work, friend.

    m harris

    harrismh777, May 1, 2011
  5. harrismh777 wrote:

    > Terry Reedy wrote:
    >>> And Im looking for feedback from peoples who best in python. Here I
    >>> make some video tutorial about this service http://checkio.blip.tv/
    >>>
    >>> What do you think about it?

    >> Pretty impressive. My main disappointment is that you are using 2.7
    >> instead of 3.2, as I feel that beginners should learn Py 3 now. Also,
    >> that is what I routinely use ;-).
    >>
    >> In any case, the home page should say Python 2.7, not just Python,

    > I agree on all points, as well I would offer the suggestion to have
    > parallel examples (in some cases) to help those trying to merge over to
    > Python3.
    >
    > But the most important point is that new users should start with 3.x,
    > and should be encouraged to in that direction alone. I am finding it
    > very frustrating trying to make all of the details changes solid in my
    > mind for 3.x because there are so many of them for one, and for another
    > because the details are so similar all at the same time. *Do not*
    > confuse new learners with 2.x unless there is a point to it... for
    > instance in our previous discussion of iterables-- noting that next() is
    > the same for both versions, but in 2.x next(N) means N.next() and in
    > version 3.x next(N) means N.__next__().
    >
    > Otherwise, have new students hit 3.x running and never look back.

    A more down-to-earth recommendation can be found at

    <http://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3>

    The bottom line of this for me is that while Python 3 has its advantages, at
    this point not only you cannot use Py3 everywhere, but also you still cannot
    do everything in Py3 that you can do in Py2 (most notably, you cannot create
    or process images, as PIL¹ is not yet Py3-ready). Meaning that it would be
    a mistake to exclude Python 2 from education at this point.

    _____
    ¹ <http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/>

    --
    PointedEars

    Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail. / Please do not Cc: me.

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, May 1, 2011
  6. On May 1, 12:29 am, Terry Reedy <> wrote:
    > On 4/30/2011 3:22 PM, Alexander Lyabah wrote:
    >
    > > I spend a lot of time in writing a new service checkio.org

    > > It's all about python, learn python, find the best solution in
    > > python.

    > > And Im looking for feedback from peoples who best in python. Here I
    > > make some video tutorial about this servicehttp://checkio.blip.tv/

    > > What do you think about it?

    > Pretty impressive. My main disappointment is that you are using 2.7
    > instead of 3.2, as I feel that beginners should learn Py 3 now. Also,
    > that is what I routinely use ;-).
    >
    > In any case, the home page should say Python 2.7, not just Python, I had
    > to think to click Console Learn in order to find out what would be legal
    > when I tried out one of the tasks.
    >
    > You might consider offering 3.2 as an alternative. Solutions will be
    > similar, but details differ. For instance, I noticed that one solution
    > to 'string split' *depends* on the 2.x leaking of listcomp loop variables..
    >
    > > I'm also have a not a very good English, so I need help with it too,
    > > because some parts of checkio.org  not in very well English

    > Home page: "In the descriptions of this tasks there is always
    > information from manuals and tutorials," 'these tasks'
    >
    > "game.Choice a game " => "game. Choose a game "
    > "users. Choice a game" => again, 'Choose'
    >
    > "and fall into the top " I think you mean "and climb into the top "
    >
    > "programs on arena. " => "program in the arena. "
    >
    > "By the result of competition formed top of the game. "
    > This is unclear. perhaps "The best will be chosen by the result of the
    > competition."
    >
    > I see a mailto: link at the bottom of the page, so I will report
    > anything else I see later.
    >
    > --
    > Terry Jan Reedy

    thanks for your translation. It's already published on site. And I
    will wait for your mail

    Alexander Lyabah, May 1, 2011
  7. On May 1, 3:26 am, harrismh777 <> wrote:
    > Alexander Lyabah wrote:
    > > What do you think about it?

    > > I'm also have a not a very good English, so I need help with it too,

    > Alexander, your site is very interesting. I spent some time this
    > afternoon appreciating your work. Nice job.
    >
    > Be encouraged, your English is much better than my Russian! I also
    > looked over the orphanage site and I appreciate how much you are doing
    > there in Ukraine for the children. Keep up the good work.
    >
    > I too am a little disappointed that Python3 is not being used. I want to
    > encourage you to work in that direction as well. I may have some time to
    > volunteer to checkio.org; for help with the English, and maybe with some
    > help as a tester. We'll see... I have a lot of my own fish to fry here,
    > as we say in America.
    >
    > Blessings on your work, friend.
    >
    > m harris

    I spend a lot of time to make a almost full support of python 2.7 from
    sandbox.

    If somebody help me this sandboxed python 3.* i will add support of it
    on checkio.org with big pleasure.

    Alexander Lyabah, May 1, 2011
  8. And what do you think about Score Games and competitions?

    Alexander Lyabah, May 1, 2011
  9. Alexander Lyabah

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 5/1/2011 12:49 PM, Alexander Lyabah wrote:
    > And what do you think about Score Games and competitions?

    The rules of the first score game were not clear to me. I could not
    figure out how to play it interactively myself so I could see how it
    actually played.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, May 1, 2011
  10. On May 1, 7:22 pm, Alexander Lyabah <> wrote:
    > On May 1, 3:26 am, harrismh777 <> wrote:
    >

    > > Alexander Lyabah wrote:
    > > > What do you think about it?

    > > > I'm also have a not a very good English, so I need help with it too,

    > > Alexander, your site is very interesting. I spent some time this
    > > afternoon appreciating your work. Nice job.

    > > Be encouraged, your English is much better than my Russian! I also
    > > looked over the orphanage site and I appreciate how much you are doing
    > > there in Ukraine for the children. Keep up the good work.

    > > I too am a little disappointed that Python3 is not being used. I want to
    > > encourage you to work in that direction as well. I may have some time to
    > > volunteer to checkio.org; for help with the English, and maybe with some
    > > help as a tester. We'll see... I have a lot of my own fish to fry here,
    > > as we say in America.

    > > Blessings on your work, friend.

    > > m harris

    > I spend a lot of time to make a almost full support of python 2.7 from
    > sandbox.
    >
    > If somebody help me this sandboxed python 3.* i will add support of it
    > on checkio.org with big pleasure.

    Notice about the python 2.7 on main page was added.
    thanks for advice

    Alexander Lyabah, May 2, 2011
  11. On May 2, 1:33 am, Terry Reedy <> wrote:
    > On 5/1/2011 12:49 PM, Alexander Lyabah wrote:
    >
    > > And what do you think about Score Games and competitions?

    > The rules of the first score game were not clear to me. I could not
    > figure out how to play it interactively myself so I could see how it
    > actually played.
    >
    > --
    > Terry Jan Reedy

    I will add a more detail information how competitions and score games
    goes.

    Alexander Lyabah, May 2, 2011
  12. On May 1, 12:29 am, Terry Reedy <> wrote:
    > On 4/30/2011 3:22 PM, Alexander Lyabah wrote:
    >
    > > I spend a lot of time in writing a new service checkio.org

    > > It's all about python, learn python, find the best solution in
    > > python.

    > > And Im looking for feedback from peoples who best in python. Here I
    > > make some video tutorial about this servicehttp://checkio.blip.tv/

    > > What do you think about it?

    > Pretty impressive. My main disappointment is that you are using 2.7
    > instead of 3.2, as I feel that beginners should learn Py 3 now. Also,
    > that is what I routinely use ;-).
    >
    > In any case, the home page should say Python 2.7, not just Python, I had
    > to think to click Console Learn in order to find out what would be legal
    > when I tried out one of the tasks.
    >
    > You might consider offering 3.2 as an alternative. Solutions will be
    > similar, but details differ. For instance, I noticed that one solution
    > to 'string split' *depends* on the 2.x leaking of listcomp loop variables..
    >
    > > I'm also have a not a very good English, so I need help with it too,
    > > because some parts of checkio.org  not in very well English

    > Home page: "In the descriptions of this tasks there is always
    > information from manuals and tutorials," 'these tasks'
    >
    > "game.Choice a game " => "game. Choose a game "
    > "users. Choice a game" => again, 'Choose'
    >
    > "and fall into the top " I think you mean "and climb into the top "
    >
    > "programs on arena. " => "program in the arena. "
    >
    > "By the result of competition formed top of the game. "
    > This is unclear. perhaps "The best will be chosen by the result of the
    > competition."
    >
    > I see a mailto: link at the bottom of the page, so I will report
    > anything else I see later.
    >
    > --
    > Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry, Hi, sent a mail to you, couple days ago. From

    Alexander Lyabah, May 5, 2011