Python competitions and learnings

Alexander Lyabah

Hi. My name is Alexander.
I spend a lot of time in writing a new service checkio.org

It's all about python, learn python, find the best solution in
python.

And Im looking for feedback from peoples who best in python. Here I
make some video tutorial about this service http://checkio.blip.tv/

What do you think about it?

I'm also have a not a very good English, so I need help with it too,
because some parts of checkio.org not in very well English

Thanks!

Terry Reedy

I spend a lot of time in writing a new service checkio.org

It's all about python, learn python, find the best solution in
python.

And Im looking for feedback from peoples who best in python. Here I
make some video tutorial about this service http://checkio.blip.tv/

What do you think about it?

Pretty impressive. My main disappointment is that you are using 2.7
instead of 3.2, as I feel that beginners should learn Py 3 now. Also,
that is what I routinely use ;-).

In any case, the home page should say Python 2.7, not just Python, I had
to think to click Console Learn in order to find out what would be legal
when I tried out one of the tasks.

You might consider offering 3.2 as an alternative. Solutions will be
similar, but details differ. For instance, I noticed that one solution
to 'string split' *depends* on the 2.x leaking of listcomp loop variables.
I'm also have a not a very good English, so I need help with it too,
because some parts of checkio.org not in very well English

Home page: "In the descriptions of this tasks there is always
information from manuals and tutorials," 'these tasks'

"game.Choice a game " => "game. Choose a game "
"users. Choice a game" => again, 'Choose'

"and fall into the top " I think you mean "and climb into the top "

"programs on arena. " => "program in the arena. "

"By the result of competition formed top of the game. "
This is unclear. perhaps "The best will be chosen by the result of the
competition."

I see a mailto: link at the bottom of the page, so I will report
anything else I see later.

harrismh777

Pretty impressive. My main disappointment is that you are using 2.7
instead of 3.2, as I feel that beginners should learn Py 3 now. Also,
that is what I routinely use ;-).
In any case, the home page should say Python 2.7, not just Python,

I agree on all points, as well I would offer the suggestion to have
parallel examples (in some cases) to help those trying to merge over to
Python3.

But the most important point is that new users should start with 3.x,
and should be encouraged to in that direction alone. I am finding it
very frustrating trying to make all of the details changes solid in my
mind for 3.x because there are so many of them for one, and for another
because the details are so similar all at the same time. *Do not*
confuse new learners with 2.x unless there is a point to it... for
instance in our previous discussion of iterables-- noting that next() is
the same for both versions, but in 2.x next(N) means N.next() and in
version 3.x next(N) means N.__next__().

Otherwise, have new students hit 3.x running and never look back.

kind regards,
m harris

harrismh777

Alexander said:
What do you think about it?

I'm also have a not a very good English, so I need help with it too,

Alexander, your site is very interesting. I spent some time this
afternoon appreciating your work. Nice job.

Be encouraged, your English is much better than my Russian! I also
looked over the orphanage site and I appreciate how much you are doing
there in Ukraine for the children. Keep up the good work.

I too am a little disappointed that Python3 is not being used. I want to
encourage you to work in that direction as well. I may have some time to
volunteer to checkio.org; for help with the English, and maybe with some
help as a tester. We'll see... I have a lot of my own fish to fry here,
as we say in America.

Blessings on your work, friend.

m harris

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

harrismh777 said:
I agree on all points, as well I would offer the suggestion to have
parallel examples (in some cases) to help those trying to merge over to
Python3.

But the most important point is that new users should start with 3.x,
and should be encouraged to in that direction alone. I am finding it
very frustrating trying to make all of the details changes solid in my
mind for 3.x because there are so many of them for one, and for another
because the details are so similar all at the same time. *Do not*
confuse new learners with 2.x unless there is a point to it... for
instance in our previous discussion of iterables-- noting that next() is
the same for both versions, but in 2.x next(N) means N.next() and in
version 3.x next(N) means N.__next__().

Otherwise, have new students hit 3.x running and never look back.

A more down-to-earth recommendation can be found at

<http://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3>

The bottom line of this for me is that while Python 3 has its advantages, at
this point not only you cannot use Py3 everywhere, but also you still cannot
do everything in Py3 that you can do in Py2 (most notably, you cannot create
or process images, as PIL¹ is not yet Py3-ready). Meaning that it would be
a mistake to exclude Python 2 from education at this point.

_____
¹ <http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/>

Alexander Lyabah

[...]

thanks for your translation. It's already published on site. And I
will wait for your mail

Alexander Lyabah

Alexander, your site is very interesting. I spent some time this
afternoon appreciating your work. Nice job.

Be encouraged, your English is much better than my Russian! I also
looked over the orphanage site and I appreciate how much you are doing
there in Ukraine for the children. Keep up the good work.

I too am a little disappointed that Python3 is not being used. I want to
encourage you to work in that direction as well. I may have some time to
volunteer to checkio.org; for help with the English, and maybe with some
help as a tester. We'll see... I have a lot of my own fish to fry here,
as we say in America.

Blessings on your work, friend.

m harris

I spend a lot of time to make a almost full support of python 2.7 from
sandbox.

If somebody help me this sandboxed python 3.* i will add support of it
on checkio.org with big pleasure.

Terry Reedy

And what do you think about Score Games and competitions?

The rules of the first score game were not clear to me. I could not
figure out how to play it interactively myself so I could see how it
actually played.

Alexander Lyabah

I spend a lot of time to make a almost full support of python 2.7 from
sandbox.

If somebody help me this sandboxed python 3.* i will add support of it
on checkio.org with big pleasure.

Notice about the python 2.7 on main page was added.
thanks for advice

Alexander Lyabah

The rules of the first score game were not clear to me. I could not
figure out how to play it interactively myself so I could see how it
actually played.

I will add a more detail information how competitions and score games
goes.

Alexander Lyabah

[...]

Terry, Hi, sent a mail to you, couple days ago. From
(e-mail address removed)