Python component model

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chuck Spears, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Chuck Spears

    Chuck Spears Guest

    Does python have a component model?

    I'm currently using delphi and C++ builder to build windows apps and I
    am looking to also support linux. They seem to be waffling on their
    linux support so I am looking for alternatives.

    The thing that makes delphi powerful is being able to link visual
    components to do things like datasets (Infopower), web pages
    (Intraweb), report writing, etc. I can build client/server apps in
    delphi in days. There are also powerful components for multi-tier
    apps like kbmmw and RemoteObjects.

    I've written a few small applications in python/Qt and see great
    potential in the language but frankly without a solid IDE and good
    component framework, I doubt I would use it for large corporate
    applications. I'm no VB hack, I have 13 years of c and c++ experience
    but why would I waste my time hand coding database/multitier
    applications in C++ when such powerful tools exist to do the plumbing
    for me?

    I've used pyQT but that isn't exactly what I had in mind. I want more
    than a forms designer and a python layer on top of a GUI library. I
    want full blown component model written in python (C++ underneath is
    fine) where I can extend the built in components or write my own.

    I love what i've seen of python so far. I also realise the component
    model can be developed independent of the core python system. I was
    just wondering if anything like that is being worked on.

    Thanks,
    Mike
    Chuck Spears, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Chuck Spears

    Harry George Guest

    Chuck Spears <> writes:

    > Does python have a component model?
    >
    > I'm currently using delphi and C++ builder to build windows apps and I
    > am looking to also support linux. They seem to be waffling on their
    > linux support so I am looking for alternatives.
    >
    > The thing that makes delphi powerful is being able to link visual
    > components to do things like datasets (Infopower), web pages
    > (Intraweb), report writing, etc. I can build client/server apps in
    > delphi in days. There are also powerful components for multi-tier
    > apps like kbmmw and RemoteObjects.
    >
    > I've written a few small applications in python/Qt and see great
    > potential in the language but frankly without a solid IDE and good
    > component framework, I doubt I would use it for large corporate
    > applications. I'm no VB hack, I have 13 years of c and c++ experience
    > but why would I waste my time hand coding database/multitier
    > applications in C++ when such powerful tools exist to do the plumbing
    > for me?
    >
    > I've used pyQT but that isn't exactly what I had in mind. I want more
    > than a forms designer and a python layer on top of a GUI library. I
    > want full blown component model written in python (C++ underneath is
    > fine) where I can extend the built in components or write my own.
    >
    > I love what i've seen of python so far. I also realise the component
    > model can be developed independent of the core python system. I was
    > just wondering if anything like that is being worked on.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Mike

    If components means cross-platform, cross-language, cross-vendor
    interoperable units of functionality, Python has components. Or
    rather, it is a willing participant in the various available
    mechanisms such as sockets, async sockets, CORBA, SOAP, XMLRPC, and
    XPCOM.

    If components means lots of products (OSS and COTS) which work
    together when "imported" to a main script, then the answer is yes.
    Pyro gives remote access. QT, KDE, Gtk, Gnome, FLTK, wx and others
    provide gui's. Webware, twisted, and others give "server" mechanisms.
    Bindings to Oracle, DB2, MySQL, Sqlite, Postgresql,, dbm, etc. give
    database support. And of course the basic install gives all the std
    net protocols.

    If components means a visual programming IDE, then look at Black Adder
    for the gui. But I question reliance on a visual drag-and-drop for
    python work. The sematics have to be solved anyway, and the raw
    python can be faster and cleaner than an IDE.

    --

    6-6M21 BCA CompArch Design Engineering
    Phone: (425) 342-0007
    Harry George, Feb 27, 2004