Python component model

Chuck Spears

Does python have a component model?

I'm currently using delphi and C++ builder to build windows apps and I
am looking to also support linux. They seem to be waffling on their
linux support so I am looking for alternatives.

The thing that makes delphi powerful is being able to link visual
components to do things like datasets (Infopower), web pages
(Intraweb), report writing, etc. I can build client/server apps in
delphi in days. There are also powerful components for multi-tier
apps like kbmmw and RemoteObjects.

I've written a few small applications in python/Qt and see great
potential in the language but frankly without a solid IDE and good
component framework, I doubt I would use it for large corporate
applications. I'm no VB hack, I have 13 years of c and c++ experience
but why would I waste my time hand coding database/multitier
applications in C++ when such powerful tools exist to do the plumbing
for me?

I've used pyQT but that isn't exactly what I had in mind. I want more
than a forms designer and a python layer on top of a GUI library. I
want full blown component model written in python (C++ underneath is
fine) where I can extend the built in components or write my own.

I love what i've seen of python so far. I also realise the component
model can be developed independent of the core python system. I was
just wondering if anything like that is being worked on.

Thanks,
Mike

Harry George

Chuck Spears said:
[...]

If components means cross-platform, cross-language, cross-vendor
interoperable units of functionality, Python has components. Or
rather, it is a willing participant in the various available
mechanisms such as sockets, async sockets, CORBA, SOAP, XMLRPC, and
XPCOM.

If components means lots of products (OSS and COTS) which work
together when "imported" to a main script, then the answer is yes.
Pyro gives remote access. QT, KDE, Gtk, Gnome, FLTK, wx and others
provide gui's. Webware, twisted, and others give "server" mechanisms.
Bindings to Oracle, DB2, MySQL, Sqlite, Postgresql,, dbm, etc. give
database support. And of course the basic install gives all the std
net protocols.

If components means a visual programming IDE, then look at Black Adder
for the gui. But I question reliance on a visual drag-and-drop for
python work. The sematics have to be solved anyway, and the raw
python can be faster and cleaner than an IDE.