Python Cookbook Second Edition call for submissions

Alex Martelli

Greetings, fellow Pythonistas!

We (Alex Martelli, David Ascher and Anna Martelli Ravenscroft) are in
the process of selecting recipes for the Second Edition of the Python
Cookbook. Please contribute your recipes (code and discussion), along
with comments on and ratings of existing recipes, to the cookbook site,
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python , and do it *now*!

The Python Cookbook is a collaborative collection of your contributions
to Python lore, with code available for use and review at
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python . ActiveState and
O'Reilly Media provide resources to publish selected recipes from this
collection -- selected, edited, and organized into chapters, each of
which starts with an essay by an expert in the chapter's topic -- into a
book titled (duh!) "Python Cookbook".

The First Edition of "Python Cookbook" appeared in 2002, is still in
print (selling well), and has met with the kind of sales and review
success you all deserved, as a unique book with over 200 recipes by over
100 authors on all sorts of topics relevant to Python versions from
1.5.2 to 2.2. Nevertheless, Python has grown in important ways since
then, and deserves an encore: the Second Edition of "Python Cookbook"
will appear in 2005 and will focus strictly on Python 2.3 and 2.4.

Please contribute to the cookbook site *now* for your submissions to be
considered for publication. We especially like recipes that include
relevant discussion (not just code), and we're biased in favour of
recipes "showing off" specific techniques in code snippets (rather than
large, complete programs). Useful comments can also qualify you for the
coveted "contributor" status.

We're particularly interested in materials based on the new features of
Python 2.4 -- Python 2.4 (alpha 2 at the time of this writing) is
currently available for download at www.python.org, so, get going:
download it, install it, try it out, and submit recipes based on it!

As was done for the First Edition, contributors whose recipes and
comments we use in the book will receive a complimentary copy of the
Second Edition, and a portion of all royalties will go to the non-profit
Python Software Foundation. As for the First Edition, recipes to be
included in the Second Edition should be licensed under the modified
Berkeley license, making them candidates for inclusion in a future
Python distribution.

Submission deadlines (for possible publication in the Second Edition):

Materials based on Python 2.3: Saturday, September 4, 2004
Materials specific to Python 2.4: Saturday, September 25, 2004

Alex