Python Cookbook Second Edition call for submissions

Discussion in 'Python' started by Alex Martelli, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. Greetings, fellow Pythonistas!

    We (Alex Martelli, David Ascher and Anna Martelli Ravenscroft) are in
    the process of selecting recipes for the Second Edition of the Python
    Cookbook. Please contribute your recipes (code and discussion), along
    with comments on and ratings of existing recipes, to the cookbook site,
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python , and do it *now*!

    The Python Cookbook is a collaborative collection of your contributions
    to Python lore, with code available for use and review at
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python . ActiveState and
    O'Reilly Media provide resources to publish selected recipes from this
    collection -- selected, edited, and organized into chapters, each of
    which starts with an essay by an expert in the chapter's topic -- into a
    book titled (duh!) "Python Cookbook".

    The First Edition of "Python Cookbook" appeared in 2002, is still in
    print (selling well), and has met with the kind of sales and review
    success you all deserved, as a unique book with over 200 recipes by over
    100 authors on all sorts of topics relevant to Python versions from
    1.5.2 to 2.2. Nevertheless, Python has grown in important ways since
    then, and deserves an encore: the Second Edition of "Python Cookbook"
    will appear in 2005 and will focus strictly on Python 2.3 and 2.4.

    Please contribute to the cookbook site *now* for your submissions to be
    considered for publication. We especially like recipes that include
    relevant discussion (not just code), and we're biased in favour of
    recipes "showing off" specific techniques in code snippets (rather than
    large, complete programs). Useful comments can also qualify you for the
    coveted "contributor" status.

    We're particularly interested in materials based on the new features of
    Python 2.4 -- Python 2.4 (alpha 2 at the time of this writing) is
    currently available for download at www.python.org, so, get going:
    download it, install it, try it out, and submit recipes based on it!

    As was done for the First Edition, contributors whose recipes and
    comments we use in the book will receive a complimentary copy of the
    Second Edition, and a portion of all royalties will go to the non-profit
    Python Software Foundation. As for the First Edition, recipes to be
    included in the Second Edition should be licensed under the modified
    Berkeley license, making them candidates for inclusion in a future
    Python distribution.

    Submission deadlines (for possible publication in the Second Edition):

    Materials based on Python 2.3: Saturday, September 4, 2004
    Materials specific to Python 2.4: Saturday, September 25, 2004

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Aug 26, 2004