Python+CORBA Vs EJB!

John

I am looking at solutions for creating distributed objects. I am
interested in comparing Python + CORBA (Fnorb, OmniORBPy etc) vs EJB.
Could any of you who have used both contrast them for me? At the first
pass, OmniORBPy actually seemed easier than EJB but EJB development is
far better supported in tools and thus could potentially be easier.
Both can interop one way or other with all of my clients.

I am looking for development insights in terms of development ease,
features (I don't need many now but eventually I likely will) and
robustness.

Please note that I want to compare CORBA development in Python with
EJB, not CORBA in general with EJB.

Irmen de Jong

John said:
Please note that I want to compare CORBA development in Python with
EJB, not CORBA in general with EJB.

You're trying to compare the wrong things.
CORBA is a distributed object communications protocol with
standardized services, EJB is Java's enterprise component
technology. What do you want to compare??

--Irmen

Joe Francia

John said:
I am looking at solutions for creating distributed objects. I am
interested in comparing Python + CORBA (Fnorb, OmniORBPy etc) vs EJB.
Could any of you who have used both contrast them for me? At the first
pass, OmniORBPy actually seemed easier than EJB but EJB development is
far better supported in tools and thus could potentially be easier.
Both can interop one way or other with all of my clients.

I am looking for development insights in terms of development ease,
features (I don't need many now but eventually I likely will) and
robustness.

Please note that I want to compare CORBA development in Python with
EJB, not CORBA in general with EJB.

If you just want to create distributed apps in Python, you may want to
take a look at Pyro: http://pyro.sourceforge.net/

John

Irmen,
I should have been more clear. When I put "Distributed Objects", I was
just referring to state preserving instances (that works for both
components [beans] or objects) as opposed to simple procedural (RPC)
techniques.

You may still be right about my comparing wrong things. I don't have a
good understanding of CORBA services yet and if they can be compared
to EJB at all. My goal is simply to write language independent object
oriented middleware with minimal fuss.

Joe,
While Pyro is nice, it is Python specific. EJB may be primarily Java
specific but thanks to 3rd party support, one can get to it from other
languages. My clients are not going to be in Python. If they are going
to be in Delphi, I am not going to have a problem with Pyro thanks to
"Python for Delphi" but I am not sure which language they are going to
be in yet.