    2) can handle multiple threads

    I checked Eric, IDLE and Wing-IDE. None of them can do this.
    Any other recommendations?

    Lothar Scholz, Aug 18, 2003

  2. Lothar Scholz

    Alan Gauld Guest

    On 18 Aug 2003 12:34:09 -0700, (Lothar Scholz)
    wrote:
    > Is there any python debugger that can
    >
    > 1) be used remotely

    What do you mean by remotely? Debug a program running on a server
    from a remote PC? Or telnet to the server and display the debug
    session on the PC?

    If the latter then the standard pdb module works just fine.

    > 2) can handle multiple threads

    Never tried that one, although pdb might work...

    Alan G.
    Author of the Learn to Program website

    Alan Gauld, Aug 18, 2003

  3. (Lothar Scholz) writes:

    > Is there any python debugger that can
    >
    > 1) be used remotely
    > 2) can handle multiple threads
    >
    > I checked Eric, IDLE and Wing-IDE. None of them can do this.
    > Any other recommendations?

    Hapdebugger claims all this (but I've never really tried it).

    http://hapdebugger.sourceforge.net/

    Thomas

    Thomas Heller, Aug 18, 2003
  4. (Alan Gauld) wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 18 Aug 2003 12:34:09 -0700, (Lothar Scholz)
    > wrote:
    > > Is there any python debugger that can
    > >
    > > 1) be used remotely

    > What do you mean by remotely? Debug a program running on a server
    > from a remote PC?

    Yes this is what i mean

    > > 2) can handle multiple threads

    > Never tried that one, although pdb might work...

    No it does not.

    Lothar Scholz, Aug 19, 2003
  5. Lothar Scholz

    Mike Rovner Guest

    Lothar Scholz wrote:
    > (Alan Gauld) wrote in message
    >> On 18 Aug 2003 12:34:09 -0700, (Lothar Scholz)
    >> wrote:
    >>> Is there any python debugger that can
    >>> 1) be used remotely

    >> What do you mean by remotely? Debug a program running on a server
    >> from a remote PC?

    > Yes this is what i mean

    Successfully done that with WingIDE (server on Solaris, debug from PC)

    Debugging multi-thread python apps is being discussed in another topic.

    Mike

    Mike Rovner, Aug 19, 2003
  6. (Lothar Scholz) writes on 19 Aug 2003 13:20:12 -0700:
    > (Alan Gauld) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > On 18 Aug 2003 12:34:09 -0700, (Lothar Scholz)
    > > wrote:
    > > > Is there any python debugger that can
    > > >
    > > > 1) be used remotely

    > > What do you mean by remotely? Debug a program running on a server
    > > from a remote PC?

    > Yes this is what i mean

    For this, we use WingIDE, a commercial IDE for Python.

    > > > 2) can handle multiple threads

    When you mean a debugger that can set breakpoints in any thread,
    analyse the state of any thread etc, then this is unlikely.

    Python maintains the debugging hook in a thread specific data structure.
    The available API functions can only access the debugging hook
    in the own thread but not in a foreign thread.

    This implies that unless the start of a thread is customized
    (such that the debugging hook is immediately set on thread start)
    it is very difficult to debug a foreign thread (without
    a specialized C extension using internal implementation details of
    Pythons thread implementation).

    Dieter

    Dieter Maurer, Aug 20, 2003
  7. David> There was some talk about enhancing this in the 2.3 timeframe,
    David> but I don't think it made it in.

    I thought I saw one or two checkins by Jeremy Hylton in this regard. I
    don't recall if it was before or after the 2.3 release, but I'm pretty sure
    there's more in there now (in CVS at least) than there was in 2.2.

    Skip

    Skip Montanaro, Aug 20, 2003
  8. Alan Gauld <> wrote:
    > Or telnet to the server and display the debug session on the PC?

    Don't use telnet. man ssh ; man sshd

    --
    Heikki Orsila There has yet to be any innovation, new
    features or new capabilities out of the

    Heikki Orsila, Aug 23, 2003