    Any help at all would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Sile

    Sile, Aug 16, 2006

  2. Sile

    Guest

    I'm really not familiar with the package you are trying to use, nor
    that familiar with what you get on windows. I would guess you did a
    binary installation download, and you may need to get the python source
    tarball instead - in order to get the files you need.

    Barring that, I'm certain the headers are available through
    sourceforge, they provide svn access for building python itself: more
    info @:

    http://www.python.org/dev/faq/

    Hope this helps.

    Anand

    Sile wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been trying to get f2py working on Windows XP, I am using Python
    > 2.3. I'm new to python so I'm not too sure what I'm doing yet. I need
    > the python-dev package to run f2py. I have been told this is just the
    > header files and .dll and I need to put them somewhere my C compiler
    > can find them. I've searched the web and none of the python-dev
    > packages I've found are for windows. I was wondering is this
    > automatically part of the windows version and if so how I set it up so
    > my C compiler can find them. If it is not part of the standard package
    > does anyone know where I can find it???
    >
    > Any help at all would be much appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > Sile

    , Aug 16, 2006

  3. Sile

    John Machin Guest

    Sile wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been trying to get f2py working on Windows XP, I am using Python
    > 2.3. I'm new to python so I'm not too sure what I'm doing yet. I need
    > the python-dev package to run f2py. I have been told this is just the
    > header files and .dll and I need to put them somewhere my C compiler
    > can find them. I've searched the web and none of the python-dev
    > packages I've found are for windows. I was wondering is this
    > automatically part of the windows version and if so how I set it up so
    > my C compiler can find them. If it is not part of the standard package
    > does anyone know where I can find it???
    >
    > Any help at all would be much appreciated.

    The concept of "python-dev package" is a Debian concept which doesn't
    apply to Windows. The standard installation on Windows provides the
    header and library files that you need for interfacing with C.

    Don't put things where your C compiler can find them; do a standard
    no-frills install of Python2.4 using the .msi installer and tell your C
    compiler where the goodies are.

    E.g. using the MinGW32 gcc, you'd need things like:

    gcc -I\python24\include -lpython24 -L\python24\libs
    [first is "i".upper(), second is "L".lower()]

    Which C compiler are you using?

    You will need to add "C:\Python24" to the path so that you can invoke
    python easily; that will also enable anything else finding python24.dll
    if you do a "me only" install of Python.

    So give that a whirl and if you have any dramas, come back with
    questions ...

    HTH,
    John

    John Machin, Aug 17, 2006
  4. Sile

    Sile Guest

    Hi John,

    Thank you very much for your help and resolving my issue with
    "python-dev". I'll hopefully get my problem sorted today, if not I'm
    sure I'll be back with more questions! The C compiler I'm using is
    Microsoft Visual Studio 8. I have been told there are potential
    compatibility issues between this, my version of python and my fortran
    compiler. I have to use python 2.3 as it is compatible with a CFD
    package I'm using. I've resinstalled python properley so I'll
    persevere with my exsisting C compiler this morning and try MINGW32 if
    I have no joy.

    Thanks again,

    Sile

    Sile, Aug 18, 2006