python-dev Summary for 2003-06-01 through 2003-06-30

Discussion in 'Python' started by Brett C., Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Brett C.

    Brett C. Guest

    python-dev Summary for 2003-06-01 through 2003-06-30
    1, 2003 through June 30, 2003. It is intended to inform the wider
    Python community of on-going developments on the list and to have an
    archived summary of each thread started on the list. To comment on
    anything mentioned here, just post to or
    `comp.lang.python`_ with a subject line mentioning what you are
    discussing. All python-dev members are interested in seeing ideas
    discussed by the community, so don't hesitate to take a stance on
    something. And if all of this really interests you then get involved
    and join `python-dev`_!

    This is the eighteenth/nineteenth summary written by Brett Cannon (has
    his own room with a door for the first time in his life).

    All summaries are archived at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/ .

    Please note that this summary is written using reStructuredText_ which
    can be found at http://docutils.sf.net/rst.html . Any unfamiliar
    punctuation is probably markup for reST_ (otherwise it is probably
    regular expression syntax or a typo =); you can safely ignore it,
    although I suggest learning reST; its simple and is accepted for `PEP
    markup`_. Also, because of the wonders of programs that like to
    reformat text, I cannot guarantee you will be able to run the text
    version of this summary through Docutils_ as-is unless it is from the
    original text file.

    ... _PEP Markup: http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0012.html

    The in-development version of the documentation for Python can be found
    at http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/ and should be used when wanting
    to look up any documentation on something mentioned here. Python PEPs
    (Python Enhancement Proposals) are located at
    http://www.python.org/peps/ . To view files in the Python CVS online,
    go to http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/ .

    ... _python-dev: http://www.python.org/dev/
    ... _python-dev mailing list:
    ... _comp.lang.python: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=comp.lang.python
    ... _Docutils: http://docutils.sf.net/
    ... _reST:
    ... _reStructuredText: http://docutils.sf.net/rst.html

    ... contents::

    ... _last summary:
    http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2003-05-16_2003-05-31.html

    =====================
    Summary Announcements
    =====================
    I lost Internet on the morning of June 18 and did not regain it until
    June 29. Since it was so close to the end of the month I decided to
    just combine the next summary into this month-long summary.

    During my Internet blackout that reminded me of the days back when I
    spent my days playing video games and watching television, my future
    life as a graduate student began to form. Since I am going to have the
    joy of taking three upper-division undergraduate courses this upcoming
    fall semester I don't think I am going to have the time to do the
    summaries when school starts, at least in the capacity I am doing them
    currently.

    At minimum I suspect I will have to cut back on the depth of them since
    I refuse to put the summaries before hacking on the core (hacking is
    more fun and I would like to think I can contribute more to Python that
    way). If you want this job I will be willing to give it up starting in
    September (I want a full year's worth of summaries behind me before I am
    willing to pass the torch). But if no one takes it I can probably
    continue to do them in a rather informal way by summarizing only big
    threads that I find interesting until someone steps forward to do a
    good, thorough job.

    If you *really* want to do the summaries at the same level of depth as I
    am currently doing them and are interested in taking over starting in
    September, give me an email at .

    `Descriptor write-up [Draft: Please comment]`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/035922.html

    Related threads:
    - `Descriptor write-up [second draft]`__

    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/035936.html

    Raymond Hettinger has written an paper on descriptors covering what they
    are to how to write your own. Since not only are properties class
    methods, static methods, and 'super' object descriptors (more on the
    last one later on in this summary) but descriptors are used throughout
    Python now to create bound objects for functions, methods, etc.

    It would behoove all serious Python programmers to read
    http://users.rcn.com/python/download/Descriptor.htm .

    ======================================
    `Where to put the interrupt module?`__
    ======================================
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036265.html

    Not earth-shattering, but to make sure that people know when new things
    are added to the stdlib I figured I should make this thread have a
    full-blown summary.

    Thanks to the development work on IDLEfork_, a new function in the
    thread module called interrupt_main has been added. It raises
    KeyboardInterrupt in the main thread of a program. The reason the
    exception is KeyboardInterrupt and not some new exception is because
    KeyboardInterrupt is the only asynchronous error in Python.

    There was discussion of making it much more general, which led to the
    PyThreadState_SetAsyncState API that allows the raising of an exception
    in another thread.

    ... _IDLEfork: http://idlefork.sf.net/

    `Can't compile _tkinter.c with Redhat 9`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036277.html

    `Red Hat`_, apparently, modified their distribution of Tcl_ so as to
    support `UCS-4`_ text encoding so that their distribution of Python 2.2
    could be compiled with UCS-4 support. Problem is that this does not
    allow Python to compile with UCS-2 support; you **have** to compile with
    UCS-4 support and not UCS-2 under Red Hat 9 with their custom version of
    Tcl.

    Thanks to Martin v. Löwis, 2.3 has been modified so that Python compiled
    in either UCS-4 or UCS-2 will work with standard Tcl which is UCS-2
    natively.

    ... _Red Hat: http://www.redhat.com/
    ... _Tcl: http://www.tcl.tk/
    ... _UCS-4: http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCS-4

    ===========
    `PEP-317`__
    ===========
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036027.html

    Splintered threads:
    - `Exception masking/chaining`__

    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036070.html

    A discussion of PEP 317 broke out on python-dev. You can read the PEP
    for details but it advocated removing string exceptions (they are going
    to be gone in Python 3) and implicit exception instantiation (that is
    not changing). The PEP was eventually rejected and has the details of
    why it was rejected in the end.

    Part of this discussion forked off to discuss exception masking. The
    idea came up that it might be nice for an exception to keep a reference
    to a previous exception that was still uncaught at that point. An
    example is an exception in the function passed to map; the function gets
    returned without knowing that it was in map. Masking it wouldn't work
    though since you then wouldn't know about the error in the function
    itself. But if there was a way to raise an exception from map that
    reference the original exception from the function then no information
    would be lost. Chaining the exceptions together would most likely just
    be sticking the previous exception in an attribute of the new one. This
    was all originally discussed `in January
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-January/032492.html>`__
    and `February
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-February/032864.html>`__
    of this year.

    There was also discussion of adding the traceback for an exception as an
    attribute of the exception. This would make getting respective
    tracebacks easier period but also easier if exception chaining was
    implemented. The traceback would most likely be attached to the
    exception when it is caught and not at instantiation.

    Both of these ideas are just that, ideas. They most likely won't occur
    until exceptions are moved over to new-style classes which probably
    won't be for a while.

    ===========================
    `towards a faster Python`__
    ===========================
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036059.html

    Related threads:
    - `problem with assignment shadows builtin warning`__

    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036422.html

    A new warning has been added to Python for when you inject an attribute
    into a module to shadows a built-in::

    import os
    os.open = 42

    This is in hopes of making this kind of thing illegal so as to allow the
    bytecode to be optimized for accessing built-ins. It also led to
    package imports, such as ``import A.B.C`` to work directly on the
    namespace dict instead of doing essentially ``setattr(A, 'B', A.B);
    setattr(A.B, 'C', A.B.C)``.

    ============================
    `Sneaky 'super' instances`__
    ============================
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036155.html

    Splinter threads:
    - `PEP 246 and Protocols`__

    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036235.html

    Discovering that an instance to the 'super' type is both an instance of
    a class *and* a non-data descriptor was causing issues for pydoc and
    inspect led to the question of whether there was any definitive way to
    tell whether an object was an instance of a class defined by using the
    'class' statement in Python. It turns out there is: if
    object.__class__.__flags__ >> 9 & 1 is 1 (which is the
    Py_TPFLAGS_HEAPTYPE in C) *and* its metaclass is or a subclass of type.

    This then spawned a discussion about protocols and interfaces (which was
    discussed once way back when under the title `type categories`_) since
    protocols could supposedly allow one to define a protocol for what makes
    up a 'super' instance. None of this will get into the language (if it
    ever gets in) until Guido can really think it through and that will be a
    while.

    ... _type categories:

    ===================================
    `Details on Python shutting down`__
    ===================================
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036386.html

    What happens while Python is shutting down? Well, it calls Py_Finalize
    in Python/pythonrun.c . This means that signals are turned off,
    gc.collect is called, calls PyImport_Cleanup in Python/import.c, and
    then calls. gc.collect one more time.

    PyImport_Cleanup is where modules are torn down. __main__ is deleted,
    then everything but sys and __builtin__, and then sys and __builtin__
    (in that order). Now "deletion" as mentioned he is setting the module
    to None in sys.modules, setting all names starting with a single
    underscore to None in the module, and then all others sans __builtins__ .

    This is why when you define a __del__ method you need to make sure that
    all things referenced in it are local; global names in the module will
    have been set to None by the time the code is called if the object is
    collected during shutdown and raise an exception.

    `Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Objectslistobject.c,2.15`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036445.html

    list.index now has optional start and end arguments.

    ==========================
    `RELEASED: Python 2.3b2`__
    ==========================
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036623.html

    Related threads:
    - `2.3b2 this weekend`__
    - `Python 2.3b2 branch tag created`__

    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036596.html
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036614.html

    Title says it all. Big thing with this beta release is the new version
    of IDLE. As with all betas, please download it and give it a whirl to
    try to shake out any bugs that need fixing *ASAP*; we are going to aim
    for an August 1 release date for final thanks to Apple planning to
    incorporate Python 2.3 into Panther_.

    ... _Panther: http://www.apple.com/macosx/panther/

    `Re: Activating `-i' from inside a script?`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036579.html

    Related threads:
    - `Delayed `-i'! :)`__

    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036636.html

    Thanks to Skip Montanaro and someone curious at comp.lang.python_ you
    can now set the PYTHONINSPECT environment variable to something and then
    be started into an interactive interpreter if an exception propagates
    all the way to the end of a program without being caught.

    ========
    Quickies
    ========
    Weekly Python Bug/Patch Summary
    -------------------------------
    - `2003-06-01`__
    - `2003-06-08`__
    - `2003-06-15`__
    - `2003-06-22`__
    - `2003-06-29`__

    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/035926.html
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036021.html
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036364.html
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036525.html
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036610.html

    `BaseHTTPServer parsing`__
    ---------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/035948.html

    Code marked as internal to a module in the stdlib means you should not
    directly reference it in your code lest you are willing to deal with
    possible future breakage when a refactoring of that module is done.

    `popen2.py strangeness`__
    -------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/035955.html

    A race condition in popen2 was found and fixed in 2.3 but was not solved
    in time for 2.2.3 . It has been marked for backporting for 2.2.4 .

    `timsort?`__
    ------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/035958.html

    The new sorting algorithm for lists (known affectionately as "timsort"
    since Tim Peters wrote that tricky piece of code) is a 2.3 feature. But
    if you would like it for older versions of Python you can get it from
    http://py-stablesort.sourceforge.net/ .

    `Mundane dict __setitem__...`__
    -------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/035970.html

    The hash value for an object in a dictionary is not guaranteed to be
    done based on identity; having two names set to equal tuples and used as
    keys will overwrite each other.

    `Meaning of trailing comma?`__
    ------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/035990.html

    Improper for python-dev, but Michael Chermside was nice enough to answer
    the question nonetheless.

    `test_strptime failed`__
    ------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/035995.html

    A failing test was reported. Follow-up on the thread is still pending.

    `IDLEfork Re-integration into Python`__
    ---------------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/035994.html

    The new version of IDLE (being developed by the `IDLEfork`_ team) is
    going to be kept in Lib/idlelib/ .

    `On Syntax Extensibility (again)`__
    -----------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036002.html

    Samuele Pedroni's thoughts on blocks (like thunks) in Python. This goes
    way back to the `2003-02-01 summary`_ and the `thunks
    <http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2003-02-01_2003-02-15.html#thunks>`__
    summary.

    ... _2003-02-01 summary:
    http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2003-02-01_2003-02-15.html

    `The Python interpreter is not fully thread-safe.`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036004.html

    It is going to be added to the documentation for threading in the Python
    core that it does not support free threading. For those of you who
    aren't familiar with what free threading is (it apparently comes from
    the Windows programming world), it means that something can be called at
    any time from any thread. In other words it is thread-safe without
    requiring any special API.

    `urllib2 proxy support broken?`__
    ---------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036005.html

    This was initially covered in the `last summary`_.
    The broken proxy support in urllib2 has been fixed.

    `Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Lib pprint.py`__...
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036008.html

    A patch applied to pprint to try to notice if a type's __repr__ had
    changed was backed out.

    `mimetypes.guess_all_extensions()`__
    ------------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036076.html

    Now returns the empty list when there are no matching extensions.

    `[OT] Thank you, python-dev`__
    ------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036083.html

    An email from me to python-dev thanking the list for everything they
    have done since it helped get me into grad school.

    `Re: [DB-SIG] API suggestion: expose 'quote' method`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036108.html

    Email about adding an optional quote function to the Python `DB-API`_ spec.

    ... _DB-API: http://www.python.org/topics/database/

    `Updated 2.3 Release Schedule`__
    --------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036163.html

    Don't expect 2.3 final to be released until some time after OSCON (it
    ends on July 11).

    `cPickle coredump with 2.3/cvs`__
    ---------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036187.html

    Someone was having core dump on them thanks to cPickle, but with no one
    else able to reproduce the problem so it's up to the OP to help solve
    this one.

    `Patch to remove eval from csv sniffer`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036203.html

    A patch for the new csv package was questioned since 2.3 is in beta.
    Guido gave the clear, though, since the chances of people's code being
    dependent on the package were negligible.

    `Proposal to drop f_tstate`__
    -----------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036204.html

    A misunderstanding on the use of the f_tstate value in frames in C code.

    `Caching of builtins and globals in action`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036228.html

    Samuele Pedroni playing with caching accesses to globals and built-ins.

    `Two useful patches involving tracebacks`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036230.html

    After discussing a useful patch, the idea of refactoring the cgitb and
    traceback module for 2.4 came up and seemed to be agreed upon to be a
    good idea.

    `PEP-311 operational?`__
    ------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036282.html

    Someone asking if PEP 311 has been applied.

    `Can we switch different "byte code interpreters"?`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036105.html

    Answer: no.
    Lesson learned: when you want to start a new thread do not piggyback on
    an existing one unless it is somehow related.

    `Sporadic test failures in Lib/test/test_mimetools.py`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036299.html

    When writing tests that base results on the time difference between time
    measurements you *must* make sure that the difference is big enough to
    be noticed by a platforms time.time function (Windows only measures 18.2
    times a second).

    `porting problems`__
    --------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036308.html

    Someone has gotten Python to run on an XBox and GameCube. =)

    `Python language standard; LSB`__
    ---------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036325.html

    Python has no "standard"; CPython is as close as you are going to get.

    `VC 7.1 compiler for key developers - last call!`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036339.html

    Guido asked for key developers who wanted a free copy of VC 7.1 to speak up.

    `PEP280 and my experiment`__
    ----------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036356.html

    Taking cues from PEP 280, Samuele Pedroni experimented with caching
    access to builtins and globals and got about a 15% increase.

    `On the possibility of "optimizing" range() calls in for-loops`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036358.html

    The idea of optimizing the bytecode for calls to range in 'for' loops is
    still being thrown around. Alex Martelli, though, pointed out that if
    you just need to do something a set number of times nothing beats
    itertools.repeat .

    `Changes to IDLE`__
    -------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036366.html

    All new bugs and patches in regards to IDLE should go into the Python
    tracker.

    `zipfile.py (SF #755031)`__
    ---------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036372.html

    A bug with zipfile was found and subsequently patched.

    `New PEP: 319`__
    ----------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036387.html

    A new PEP on adding a keyword for synchronizing code has been put online.

    `Py2.3 Todo List`__
    -------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036453.html

    Related threads:
    - `More work on SRE`__

    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036520.html

    Essentially a discussion as to whether to apply Gustavo Niemeyer's patch
    to remove the recursion limit from the re module and to add
    sys.(get|set)defaultsourceencoding functions. The former is in (with
    help of a coverage tool that comes with gcc and is talked about at
    https://moin.conectiva.com.br/GustavoNiemeyer/2003-06-19 ) and the
    latter had new tests added but won't have the code removing recursion
    limits applied until after 2.3.

    ... _EuroPython: http://www.europython.org/

    `Handler.setLevel()`__
    ----------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036466.html

    Misunderstanding over how the method worked.

    `No Net at home`__
    ------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036485.html

    I lost Internet, as you probably know from the `Summary Announcements`_
    section, on June 18 and didn't get it back until June 29.

    `SF CVS hosed?`__
    -----------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036489.html

    Usual issues with cvs. Some talk about Subversion_.

    ... _Subversion: http://subversion.tigris.org/

    `curses module has_key emulation`__
    -----------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036501.html

    Problem with curses was found and a proposed patch at
    http://www.python.org/sf/759208 has been created.

    `A vote against dict(keyword=value) sugar`__...
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036502.html

    What the subject says.

    `Python on dual-processor Macs?`__
    ----------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036530.html

    Greg Ewing was worried about a bug he heard about on dual-processor
    Macs. Jack Jansen said it was solved, though.

    `Patch 595601`__
    -----------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036537.html

    A race condition with files and closing/reading is being worked on at
    http://www.python.org/sf/595601 .

    `cookie support for FancyURLopener?`__
    --------------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036553.html

    Someone asking if a certain feature was under development.

    `proposed Tkinter change; any likelihood of acceptance?`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036555.html

    Not for 2.3.0, but maybe for 2.4 or 2.3.1 .

    `Python hash function`__
    ------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036556.html

    Damien Morton continues to try to speed up Python, this time by trying
    to speed up the hashing of strings.

    `Py2.1`__
    ---------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036564.html

    Backporting a fix all the way to Python 2.1 is only needed if it is
    really critical.

    `deprecate dbm module & add bsddb185 module for 2.2`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036569.html

    "No" and probably "if you put the effort into it yourself".

    `OSCON Lightning Talk Proposals still being accepted`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036574.html

    If you want to give a lightning talk at OSCON_, read this email.

    ... _OSCON: http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/

    `Yet more SRE`__
    ----------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036575.html

    Gustavo Niemeyer fiddles with the re module some more.

    `Python 2.3b1, distutils and PEP 263`__
    ---------------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036577.html

    Bug in Distutils is squashed involving the shebang line.

    `test_copy_reg failing in 2.3 CVS`__
    ------------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036582.html

    Dealt with by a comment.

    `socket timeouts and httplib`__
    -------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036587.html

    Dealt with by adding a specific exception for timeouts.

    `Embedding Python, threading and scalability`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036589.html

    David Abrahams redirecting a question to python-dev.

    `[ANN] SciPy '03 -- The 2nd Annual Python for Scientific Computing
    Workshop`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036591.html

    Title says it all.

    `Proposed DNS query library`__
    ------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036604.html

    Take a look at dnspython_ if you need DNS stuff.

    ... _dnspython: http://www.dnspython.org

    `Problems in stdlib before 2.3b2`__
    -----------------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036606.html

    They are being/have been dealt with.

    `Running tests on freebsd5`__
    -----------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036611.html

    ....had two failures. They are being worked on.

    `threads duplicated on fork() prevent child from terminating properly`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036619.html

    Person was told to file a bug report.

    `Meaty debugging mystery`__
    ---------------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036627.html

    .... which Martin v. Löwis figured out the basic cause although how it is
    happening is still unknown.

    `2.3b2 known bugs?`__
    ---------------------
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036632.html

    The bugs listed previously at http://www.python.org/2.3/bugs.html have
    been fixed but two new ones take their place.

    `Problem with 2.3b2 tarfile?`__
    __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-June/036637.html

    Solaris tar was choking on a *really* long pathname in the stdlib. The
    pathname will most likely end up being changed to be under 100
    characters so as to meet the POSIX tarfile format specification.
    Brett C., Jul 9, 2003