python-dev Summary for 2003-11-16 through 2003-11-30

Discussion in 'Python' started by Brett C., Dec 11, 2003.

  1. Brett C.

    Brett C. Guest

    python-dev Summary for 2003-11-16 through 2003-11-30
    November 16, 2003 through November 30, 2003. It is intended to inform
    the wider Python community of on-going developments on the list. To
    comment on anything mentioned here, just post to `comp.lang.python`_ (or
    email which is a gateway to the newsgroup) with a
    subject line mentioning what you are discussing. All python-dev members
    are interested in seeing ideas discussed by the community, so don't
    hesitate to take a stance on something. And if all of this really
    interests you then get involved and join `python-dev`_!

    This is the thirtieth summary written by Brett Cannon (the quarter is
    over! Winter Break is finally here!).

    To contact me, please send email to brett at python.org ; I do not have
    the time to keep up on comp.lang.python and thus do not always catch
    follow-ups posted there.

    All summaries are archived at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/ .

    Please note that this summary is written using reStructuredText_ which
    can be found at http://docutils.sf.net/rst.html . Any unfamiliar
    punctuation is probably markup for reST_ (otherwise it is probably
    regular expression syntax or a typo =); you can safely ignore it,
    although I suggest learning reST; it's simple and is accepted for `PEP
    markup`_ and gives some perks for the HTML output. Also, because of the
    wonders of programs that like to reformat text, I cannot guarantee you
    will be able to run the text version of this summary through Docutils_
    as-is unless it is from the original text file.

    ... _PEP Markup: http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0012.html

    The in-development version of the documentation for Python can be found
    at http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/ and should be used when looking
    up any documentation on something mentioned here. PEPs (Python
    Enhancement Proposals) are located at http://www.python.org/peps/ . To
    view files in the Python CVS online, go to
    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/ . Reported bugs
    and suggested patches can be found at the SourceForge_ project page.

    ... _python-dev: http://www.python.org/dev/
    ... _SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470
    ... _python-dev mailing list:
    ... _comp.lang.python: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=comp.lang.python
    ... _Docutils: http://docutils.sf.net/
    ... _reST:
    ... _reStructuredText: http://docutils.sf.net/rst.html

    ... contents::

    ... _last summary:
    http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2003-10-16_2003-11-15.html

    =====================
    Summary Announcements
    =====================
    Wow, I actually managed to get a summary out less than a week when its
    coverage dates ended. Perks of procrastinating for studying for finals. =)

    First, an errata on the last summary. I said generator expressions were
    Peter Norvig's idea. Turns out it was Raymond Hettinger, the man who
    has so many new ideas that his flame retardant suit has his initials
    embroidered on it, who came up with the original idea in `PEP 289`_.

    PyCon_ registration has gone live! Go to the page to register. And if
    you don't we will have a possessed Barry Warsaw come after you (to get
    the reference, go to http://www.pycon.org/ and take a look at the banner
    graphic; Barry is the second from the right)! =)

    The system for accepting proposals for PyCon is still being worked on.
    It should be up in the very near future. Since it was not up in time
    for the original deadline, the new proposal deadline has been extended.

    This summary is brought to you by the `iTunes Music Store`_ and the
    following songs from the `Verve Remixed 2 - Exclusive EP
    <http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=2611976>`__
    album (which are linked to the iTMS and thus require iTunes to be
    installed):

    - `Manteca, by Dizzy Gillespie & Funky Lowlives
    <http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=2611976&selectedItemId=2556313>`__
    - `Sinnerman, by Felix da Housecat & Nina Simone
    <http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=2611976&selectedItemId=2556338>`__

    ... _PEP 289: http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0289.html
    ... _PyCon: http://www.pycon.org/
    ... _iTunes Music Store: http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/

    =========
    Summaries
    =========
    Aggregate refcounting is not always a hard science
    Christian Tismer discovered that the aggregate refcount stored in
    _Py_RefTotal (only available in a Py_REF_DEBUG build which is part of a
    debug build; see Misc/SpecialBuilds.txt for all the special builds that
    are available) can be wrong when code starts to do funky things in
    __del__ methods and manipulating the refcount of objects directly. The
    offending code has been fixed in the 2.3.x branch and up.

    Contributing threads:
    - `_Py_RefTotal wrong in Py 2.2.3
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-November/040269.html>`__

    Bulk up reversed() with __reversed__ and __len__
    When the new 'reversed' built-in was being discussed, the idea of having
    a __reversed__ magic method for it was proposed. But because it might
    get misused by applying 'reversed' to iterators that were infinite
    (think generators and itertools iterators), Guido had it removed.

    But Raymond Hettinger, who came up with 'reversed' in the first place,
    came up with a modified idea; only have 'reversed' use __reversed__ if
    both that magic method and __len__ are defined. That way 'reversed'
    will only try to reverse its argument if it has a known bounded length
    (as of right now it only works if the object has __getitem__ and __len__
    defined).

    As of right now it has not been pronounced upon.

    Contributing threads:
    - `__reversed__ protocol
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-November/040308.html>`__

    Change in object.__setattr__ semantics from 2.2 to 2.3
    A change in how object.__setattr__ works went unmentioned in the 'What's
    New...' doc for 2.3 by accident. In case you have not run into this,
    you cannot use object.__setattr__ if a derived type defines __setattr__
    itself. It is not an issue if you just use the built-in setattr.

    Contributing threads:
    - `2.2=>2.3 object.__setattr__(cls,attr,value)
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-November/040323.html>`__

    -----------------------------
    Say goodbye to MacOS9 support
    -----------------------------
    Starting with 2.4, Python will not support MacOS9 for lack of support
    (Jack Jansen asked for volunteers but no one stepped forward). Jack has
    removed the support so that all his Mac-related efforts can focus on OS
    X work.

    This does not affect any previous versions of Python.

    Contributing threads:
    - `Ripping out Macintosh support
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-November/040336.html>`__

    ------------------
    2.3.3 in the works
    ------------------
    2.3.3c1 has been released as of this writing. You can find it at
    http://www.python.org/2.3.3/ . As usual, please download it and run the
    test suite along with your own code.

    Contributing threads:
    - `Time for 2.3.3?
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-November/040343.html>`__

    --------------------
    Project ideas galore
    --------------------
    Last month I asked for ideas for a masters thesis. This led to a huge
    response with various project ideas. After going through them all I
    posted an annotated list of all the ideas presented to me (see the
    contributing thread for the email link). If you are ever bored for say,
    a month or more, you can try to tackle one of these projects to keep
    yourself occupied.

    Contributing threads:
    - `Thesis ideas list
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-November/040387.html>`__

    -------------------------
    No more hex/oct warnings!
    -------------------------
    The warnings from 2.3 about how hex/oct constants were going to change
    in 2.4 are now gone since the change has been checked into CVS. `PEP
    237`_, which specified this change, also mentioned warnings of the
    change in 2.4 along with changes to repr for longs.

    The warnings are not going to exist in Python 2.4 . It was felt the
    warnings in 2.3 were visible and noisy enough to get the point across.

    As for the repr change for longs, that is not going to happen. The repr
    of a long will continue to have an "L" appended to the end of it. It
    was deemed not worth the breakage in code to remove it.

    ... _PEP 237: http://www.python.org/peps/pep_0237.html

    Contributing threads:
    - `Int FutureWarnings and other 2.4 TODOs
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-November/040411.html>`__

    ------------------------------
    Backticks to go bye-bye in 3.0
    ------------------------------
    Consider yourselves warned; backticks will be removed in Python 3.0 .
    And thanks to Walter Dörwald they are being replaced in the stdlib with
    the proper repr calls.

    Contributing threads:
    - `Banishing apply(), buffer(), coerce(), and intern()
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-November/040433.html>`__

    -----------------------
    itertools grows groupby
    -----------------------
    itertools.groupby takes an iterable and a key-accessing function and
    returns a tuple of the key and an iterator containing items that match
    the current key. You can think of it like SQL's GROUPBY keyword or
    UNIX's uniq command. Read the documentation for a more thorough
    explanation.

    Contributing threads:
    - `"groupby" iterator
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-November/040469.html>`__

    Brett C., Dec 11, 2003

  2. On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:53:39 -0800, rumours say that "Brett C."
    <> might have written:

    >First, an errata on the last summary. I said generator expressions were
    >Peter Norvig's idea. Turns out it was Raymond Hettinger, the man who
    >has so many new ideas that his flame retardant suit has his initials
    >embroidered on it, who came up with the original idea in `PEP 289`_.

    What about this?

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=

    (this, by Paul Prescod, is the oldest one that I remember and could
    locate --I actually had it kept in Agent! :), but there could be older
    references. Of course, hadn't Raymond written the PEP, the whole idea
    wouldn't advance...
    --
    TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
    Ils sont fous ces Redmontains! --Harddix

    Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou, Dec 12, 2003