Python DLL in Windows Folder

Markus Gritsch

Hi,

why does the Python installer on Windows put the Python DLL into the
Windows system32 folder? Wouldn't it be more clean to place it into
the Python installation folder beside the python.exe file?

Kind regards,
Markus

Thorsten Kampe

* Markus Gritsch (Sun, 23 Dec 2007 15:52:50 +0100)
why does the Python installer on Windows put the Python DLL into the
Windows system32 folder?

Are you sure it does?!

Thorsten

Markus Gritsch

* Markus Gritsch (Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:28:41 +0100)

If you choose "install just for me" it doesn't.

Interesting. Therefore you asked me if I am sure :) Does this mean,
that COM stuff does not work when installing Python "just for me"?

Markus

Markus Gritsch

Interesting. Therefore you asked me if I am sure :) Does this mean,
that COM stuff does not work when installing Python "just for me"?

Indeed, pywin32 stops working :( I installed Python "just for me",
then I installed pywin32-210, and now Pythonwin.exe is not able to
start. So for this scenario it seems to be necessary, that the Python
DLL is installed into the system32 folder.

Maybe the Python installer should issue a warning that pywin32 will
not be able to work when using the option "just for me"?

Kind regards,
Markus

Martin v. Löwis

Indeed, pywin32 stops working :( I installed Python "just for me",
then I installed pywin32-210, and now Pythonwin.exe is not able to
start. So for this scenario it seems to be necessary, that the Python
DLL is installed into the system32 folder.

Maybe the Python installer should issue a warning that pywin32 will
not be able to work when using the option "just for me"?

That is not supposed to happen; pywin32 should work. Just COM servers
written in Python may not.

Regards,
Martin

Markus Gritsch

That is not supposed to happen; pywin32 should work. Just COM servers
written in Python may not.

Ok, my mistake. I was launching Pythonwin.exe by double clicking on
the executable, which works when Python is installed "for all users"
and does not work when installed "just for me". When Pythonwin is
launched by clicking on the shortcut in the start menu, which sets the
CWD to the Python installation folder, it works also when Python is
installed "just for me".

Kind regards,
Markus