    the Python installation folder beside the python.exe file?

    Kind regards,
    Markus
    Markus Gritsch, Dec 23, 2007

  2. * Markus Gritsch (Sun, 23 Dec 2007 15:52:50 +0100)
    > why does the Python installer on Windows put the Python DLL into the
    > Windows system32 folder?

    Are you sure it does?!

    Thorsten
    Thorsten Kampe, Dec 23, 2007

  3. On 23/12/2007, Thorsten Kampe <> wrote:
    > * Markus Gritsch (Sun, 23 Dec 2007 15:52:50 +0100)
    > > why does the Python installer on Windows put the Python DLL into the
    > > Windows system32 folder?

    > Are you sure it does?!

    Yes.

    Markus
    Markus Gritsch, Dec 23, 2007
  4. * Markus Gritsch (Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:28:41 +0100)
    > On 23/12/2007, Thorsten Kampe <> wrote:
    > > * Markus Gritsch (Sun, 23 Dec 2007 15:52:50 +0100)
    > > > why does the Python installer on Windows put the Python DLL into the
    > > > Windows system32 folder?

    > > Are you sure it does?!

    > Yes.

    If you choose "install just for me" it doesn't.
    Thorsten Kampe, Dec 24, 2007
  5. On 24/12/2007, Thorsten Kampe <> wrote:
    > * Markus Gritsch (Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:28:41 +0100)
    > > On 23/12/2007, Thorsten Kampe <> wrote:
    > > > * Markus Gritsch (Sun, 23 Dec 2007 15:52:50 +0100)
    > > >
    > > > Are you sure it does?!

    > > Yes.

    > If you choose "install just for me" it doesn't.

    Interesting. Therefore you asked me if I am sure :) Does this mean,
    that COM stuff does not work when installing Python "just for me"?

    Markus
    Markus Gritsch, Dec 24, 2007
  6. On 24/12/2007, Markus Gritsch <> wrote:
    > On 24/12/2007, Thorsten Kampe <> wrote:
    > > * Markus Gritsch (Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:28:41 +0100)

    > > > Yes.

    > > If you choose "install just for me" it doesn't.

    > Interesting. Therefore you asked me if I am sure :) Does this mean,
    > that COM stuff does not work when installing Python "just for me"?

    Indeed, pywin32 stops working :( I installed Python "just for me",
    then I installed pywin32-210, and now Pythonwin.exe is not able to
    start. So for this scenario it seems to be necessary, that the Python
    DLL is installed into the system32 folder.

    Maybe the Python installer should issue a warning that pywin32 will
    not be able to work when using the option "just for me"?

    Kind regards,
    Markus
    Markus Gritsch, Dec 25, 2007
  7. > Indeed, pywin32 stops working :( I installed Python "just for me",
    > then I installed pywin32-210, and now Pythonwin.exe is not able to
    > start. So for this scenario it seems to be necessary, that the Python
    > DLL is installed into the system32 folder.
    >
    > Maybe the Python installer should issue a warning that pywin32 will
    > not be able to work when using the option "just for me"?

    That is not supposed to happen; pywin32 should work. Just COM servers
    written in Python may not.

    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin v. Löwis, Dec 26, 2007
  8. On 27/12/2007, "Martin v. Löwis" <> wrote:
    > > Indeed, pywin32 stops working :( I installed Python "just for me",
    > > then I installed pywin32-210, and now Pythonwin.exe is not able to
    > > start. So for this scenario it seems to be necessary, that the Python
    > > DLL is installed into the system32 folder.
    > >
    > > Maybe the Python installer should issue a warning that pywin32 will
    > > not be able to work when using the option "just for me"?

    > That is not supposed to happen; pywin32 should work. Just COM servers
    > written in Python may not.

    Ok, my mistake. I was launching Pythonwin.exe by double clicking on
    the executable, which works when Python is installed "for all users"
    and does not work when installed "just for me". When Pythonwin is
    launched by clicking on the shortcut in the start menu, which sets the
    CWD to the Python installation folder, it works also when Python is
    installed "just for me".

    Kind regards,
    Markus
    Markus Gritsch, Dec 27, 2007