python doc available in emacs info format?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Xah Lee, Aug 17, 2009.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    btw, is there still info format for python doc?

    i feel kinda sad that emacs info format has pretty much been
    deprecated over the past decade. About a decade ago, you still will
    see now and then people asking for emacs info format of docs (was the
    days of perl). Today, one don't hear of it.

    Part of this is due to emacs cult problem. See:

    • Emacs Modernization
    http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_modernization.html

    • Emacs Should Adopt HTML To Replace Texinfo
    http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_html_vs_info.html

    • Language, Purity, Cult, and Deception
    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/lang_purity_cult_deception.html

    Xah
    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    ☄

    Xah Lee, Aug 17, 2009

  2. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    info format for Xah Lee writes:
    > in programing elisp in emacs, i can press “Ctrl+h f†to lookup
    > the doc for the function under cursor. is there such facility
    > when coding in perl, python, php?

    On Dec 11 2008, 6:56 am, Matthias <> wrote:
    > Yes, try C-h S (or similarly <f1> S):

    > (info-lookup-symbol SYMBOL &optional MODE) Display the
    > definition of SYMBOL, as found in the relevant manual. When this
    > command is called interactively, it reads SYMBOL from the
    > minibuffer.

    > Note that `the relevant manual' means an info file. With recent
    > emacsen on an Ubuntu distro, python arrives with info files and
    > everything is well configured. It also works with bash, latex, perl,
    > scheme, elisp, awk, texinfo, makefile, libc, or any info file with an

    I noticed that Matthias actually mentioned that info docs is available
    and bundled out of the box on Ubuntu linux for many popular langs, as
    of 2008-12.

    Is that true? Where can i download these info files? As far as i know,
    a little google search or official doc sites usually don't have a
    download for info format.

    I'm interested in getting current version doc for perl, python, php,
    and ruby.

    Thanks.

    Xah
    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    ☄

    Xah Lee, Aug 17, 2009

  3. Xah Lee

    A.Politz Guest

    On Aug 17, 6:43 am, Xah Lee <> wrote:
    > btw, is there still [no] info format for python doc?
    >
    > i feel kinda sad [...]
    > Part of this is due to [other peoples fault]

    Someone started a rst2info project (google it), maybe you want to help
    this guy out.

    Though, he might be a techgeeker, so watch out !

    -ap

    A.Politz, Aug 19, 2009
  4. Xah Lee

    Nathan Keel Guest

    A.Politz wrote:

    > On Aug 17, 6:43 am, Xah Lee <> wrote:
    >> btw, is there still [no] info format for python doc?
    >>
    >> i feel kinda sad [...]
    >> Part of this is due to [other peoples fault]

    > Someone started a rst2info project (google it), maybe you want to help
    > this guy out.
    >
    > Though, he might be a techgeeker, so watch out !
    >
    > -ap

    Don't bother with this Xah Lee clown. He posts random crap because he
    thinks everyone wants to hear what he has to say about unrelated
    subject material and thinks he looks smart for doing it. Unfortunately,
    he usually lacks a clue about any topic he brings up (and he always
    starts a new thread like he's some authority). His goals are nothing
    more than to post arrogant, clueless rants thinking he's showing off.
    this is why he ALWAYS cross posts to the same groups (Emacs, Python,,
    Perl, etc.), even when the topic or content has nothing to do with
    those things. He thinks people in these groups automatically respect
    him, when most have killfiled him.

    Nathan Keel, Aug 20, 2009