Python Doc Problem Example: os.path.split

Discussion in 'Python' started by Xah Lee, Sep 18, 2005.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    Python Doc Problem Example

    Quote from:
    http://docs.python.org/lib/module-os.path.html
    ----------
    split( path)
    Split the pathname path into a pair, (head, tail) where tail is the
    last pathname component and head is everything leading up to that. The
    tail part will never contain a slash; if path ends in a slash, tail
    will be empty. If there is no slash in path, head will be empty. If
    path is empty, both head and tail are empty. Trailing slashes are
    stripped from head unless it is the root (one or more slashes only). In
    nearly all cases, join(head, tail) equals path (the only exception
    being when there were multiple slashes separating head from tail).
    ----------

    Can anyone tell me what this verbiage is trying to fucking say?

    what the **** is with the head and tail thing?

    is the doc writer, trying to write the doc with some austereness, but
    is confused about the behavior of split, or confused about expressing
    it? Did his pretension fucked him up?

    i was working on a program where i needed to split a path into dirname,
    corename, and suffix. But this fucking python doc diverted my work and
    wasted my time. It normally isn't a problem to find imperfections in
    the world except the fucking OpenSourcers **** with their fucking
    moronicity and moronitude and propagate haughtily their fucking lies
    and stupidity. Die.

    Suggested rewrite:

    split(path)
    returns a pair (dirname,filename), where dirname is the part of path
    up to the last slash, and filename is the rest of the string after the
    last slash.

    Exceptional cases are:
    • if path is a single slash (or repeated), then path == dirname and
    filename is empty.
    • If the “last†slash is repeated, they are treated as one single
    slash.

    ------------
    **** the motherfucking liers of OpenSourcing fuckheads.
    (Note: my use of OpenSource here does not include people of GNU
    community.)

    For more about Python Doc problems, see
    http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/t2/xlali_skami_cukta.html

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/
    Xah Lee, Sep 18, 2005

  2. >is the doc writer, trying to write the doc with some austereness, but
    >is confused about the behavior of split, or confused about expressing
    >it? Did his pretension fucked him up?

    Dear Xah Lee,

    The Python community is very sorry because we have a very bad
    documentation. You are right. The documentation is bad, and the language
    is bad etc. The mailing list itself is not helpful and you cannot use it
    for anything. We will try to follow all of your glorious suggestions.
    But we have so many things to do, I'm affraid you need to wait until
    Python 5000 is released. Until that, I can recommend you the Visual
    Basic language. Its documentation is much more perfect. MSDN is really
    really well structured and easy to use! It is commercial, and - as you
    would expect - you will get immediate fixes after you make a kind
    suggestion like this. I think this is the best thing you can do.

    For more information about this fabolous ClosedSource commercial
    product, please visit this link:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/

    Good Luck!

    Les
    Laszlo Zsolt Nagy, Sep 18, 2005

  3. On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 03:46:03 -0700, Xah Lee wibbled:

    > Can anyone tell me what this verbiage is trying to fucking say?

    Please don't feed the trolls.

    In other words, if everybody ignores this loser, he might crawl back under
    the rock he came from.

    --
    Steven.
    Steven D'Aprano, Sep 18, 2005
  4. Xah Lee

    Matija Papec Guest

    "Xah Lee" <> wrote:
    >Python Doc Problem Example

    what makes you sure that this problem would be interesting for groups beside
    c.l.python? are you begging to be converted to a true religion? :)

    --
    Matija
    Matija Papec, Sep 18, 2005
  5. Laszlo Zsolt Nagy a écrit :

    >> is the doc writer, trying to write the doc with some austereness, but
    >> is confused about the behavior of split, or confused about expressing
    >> it? Did his pretension fucked him up?
    >>

    > Dear Xah Lee,
    >
    > The Python community is very sorry because we have a very bad
    > documentation. You are right. The documentation is bad, and the language
    > is bad etc. The mailing list itself is not helpful and you cannot use it
    > for anything. We will try to follow all of your glorious suggestions.
    > But we have so many things to do, I'm affraid you need to wait until
    > Python 5000 is released. Until that, I can recommend you the Visual
    > Basic language. Its documentation is much more perfect. MSDN is really
    > really well structured and easy to use! It is commercial, and - as you
    > would expect - you will get immediate fixes after you make a kind
    > suggestion like this. I think this is the best thing you can do.
    >
    > For more information about this fabolous ClosedSource commercial
    > product, please visit this link:
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/
    >
    > Good Luck!
    >
    > Les

    KEYBOARD !
    Bruno Desthuilliers, Sep 18, 2005
  6. > Please don't feed the trolls.

    > In other words, if everybody ignores this loser, he might crawl back under
    > the rock he came from.

    Well, comp.lang.python people would do better to accept the suggested
    rewrite and ignore at the rest at their discretion.
    Julian Fondren, Sep 18, 2005
  7. Another epileptic seizure on the keyboard. Apart from clue deficit
    disorder, this guy seems to suffer from some serious anger management
    problems...*plonk*

    George Sakkis, Sep 18, 2005
  8. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    Addendum:

    I was working on a program where i needed to split a path into dirname,
    corename, and suffix.

    I came to this page and took me a while to understand what split() is
    about. There are other path related functions splitext(), splitdrive(),
    basename(), dirname(). User has to scan the whole page and read
    painfully each one to fully understand how to choose and use them for
    the task at hand.

    As i have explained before (see references at bottom), documentation
    should be organized oriented towards programer's tasks, not
    alphabetically, compiler view, or computer sciency scheme. On this
    os.path module, split(), splittext(), dirname(), basename() should all
    be under one section. This way, their usefulness and each's fitness
    becomes clearer, and also easier to document as a collective. Other
    functions that test files or get info about files should be together.
    Don't be afraid that there are functions that doesn't fit into some
    “classificationâ€. For exapmle, the walk() and
    supports_unicode_filenames() can be lumped at the bottom as Other. The
    need to present materials in some aloof, computer sciency, academic,
    precision pretensions way is a major usability problem in the Python
    doc.

    (the OpenSourcers's need to present materials that way is a backlash of
    the willful juvenile sloppiness of unix/perl community. However, they
    being the same crowd without significant critical thinking and writing
    skills, cannot do better by hiding in formality.)

    Also, at the top we see:

    Warning: On Windows, many of these functions do not properly
    support UNC pathnames. splitunc() and ismount() do handle them
    correctly.

    As indicated before, this is a exhibition of tech geeking and
    jargonizing. If this warning is necessary, place it at the bottom of
    the page as a footnote. Also, spell out UNC, and provide a link to its
    proper spec.

    Tech geekers are very pretentious of tech matters. They are afraid, as
    if spelling out UNC would make them unprofessional, that their peers
    would deem them inferior. There are a myriad of techincal standards
    that any programer could only be familiar with a fraction, confined to
    his area of expertise. Standards and its acronyms come and go , and
    each with varying degree of precision, actual revelance, and they are
    intermingled with de facto “standards†in the commercial world that
    may not even have official names. The tech geekers are clouded by their
    narrow knowledge. The purpose of documentation is not some cold
    academic presentation. Vast majority who came to use os.path wouldn't
    know what UNC is. Spell things out when in doubt.

    UNC here, isn't really a significant “standardâ€. This warning
    should be left out.

    -----------
    This post is archived at:
    http://xahlee.org/perl-python/python_doc_os_path_split.html

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    Xah Lee, Sep 19, 2005
  9. >
    > split(path)
    > returns a pair (dirname,filename), where dirname is the part of path
    > up to the last slash, and filename is the rest of the string after the
    > last slash.

    Bullshit. Slash isn't always the path component delimiter. Get a clue on
    what you're talking about before suggesting so-called "improvements".
    And once and for all get it into your head that it's not the purpose of
    this nor any other documentation effort to precisely fit your
    nano-tube-narrow mindset.

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Sep 19, 2005
  10. Op 2005-09-19, Diez B. Roggisch schreef <>:

    >> split(path)
    >> returns a pair (dirname,filename), where dirname is the part of path
    >> up to the last slash, and filename is the rest of the string after the
    >> last slash.

    > Bullshit. Slash isn't always the path component delimiter. Get a clue on
    > what you're talking about before suggesting so-called "improvements".
    > And once and for all get it into your head that it's not the purpose of
    > this nor any other documentation effort to precisely fit your
    > nano-tube-narrow mindset.

    I think this is unfair. The use of "slash" is a failing of the current
    documentation. If his use is an indication of a nano-tube-narrow
    mindset then so would be the use by the actual documentation writers.

    --
    Antoon Pardon
    Antoon Pardon, Sep 20, 2005

  11. > I think this is unfair. The use of "slash" is a failing of the current
    > documentation. If his use is an indication of a nano-tube-narrow
    > mindset then so would be the use by the actual documentation writers.

    You're right - I missed that somehow, as the original docs talk about
    components - which made me assume that these are independently defined
    from the slash.

    But I stand by the nano-tube-narrow mind-set of Xah Lee. Besides his
    tourette syndrome he also is simply unwilling to read documentation if
    it is not what _he_ expects it to be.

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Sep 20, 2005
  12. Xah Lee

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
    >>I think this is unfair. The use of "slash" is a failing of the current
    >>documentation. If his use is an indication of a nano-tube-narrow
    >>mindset then so would be the use by the actual documentation writers.

    > You're right - I missed that somehow, as the original docs talk about
    > components - which made me assume that these are independently defined
    > from the slash.

    That's okay. We hardly lack for examples of his double standard: note
    his claim that split() returns a (dirname, filename) pair, which is not
    correct in all cases either, making his suggestion no better than the
    stuff he criticizes, at best.

    > But I stand by the nano-tube-narrow mind-set of Xah Lee. Besides his
    > tourette syndrome he also is simply unwilling to read documentation if
    > it is not what _he_ expects it to be.

    It's interesting to note that c.l.p still manages to give cordial and
    helpful replies when his posts are not offensive ... in spite of us all
    repeatedly being labelled "fuckers" and worse.

    I strongly suspect (and here I manage to get this on-topic, to the shock
    of all) that he learned English from something written (apparently) by
    Monty Python, and mistakenly thought this was how most people speak in
    public (see http://www.sigg3.net/myself/****.html for but one copy).

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Sep 20, 2005
  13. Xah Lee

    Steve Holden Guest

    Peter Hansen wrote:
    > Diez B. Roggisch wrote:

    [...]
    >>But I stand by the nano-tube-narrow mind-set of Xah Lee. Besides his
    >>tourette syndrome he also is simply unwilling to read documentation if
    >>it is not what _he_ expects it to be.

    > It's interesting to note that c.l.p still manages to give cordial and
    > helpful replies when his posts are not offensive ... in spite of us all
    > repeatedly being labelled "fuckers" and worse.

    That's the friendly fuckers on c.l.py for you ...

    > I strongly suspect (and here I manage to get this on-topic, to the shock
    > of all) that he learned English from something written (apparently) by
    > Monty Python, and mistakenly thought this was how most people speak in
    > public (see http://www.sigg3.net/myself/****.html for but one copy).

    While this surmise does bring us close to being on-topic I fear you are
    being far more charitable than is justified here. But I *am* getting a
    bit fucking tired of his rather limited style of discourse.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
    Holden Web LLC www.holdenweb.com
    Steve Holden, Sep 20, 2005