Python Doc Problem Example: os.path.split

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Xah Lee, Sep 18, 2005.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    Python Doc Problem Example

    Quote from:
    http://docs.python.org/lib/module-os.path.html
    ----------
    split( path)
    Split the pathname path into a pair, (head, tail) where tail is the
    last pathname component and head is everything leading up to that. The
    tail part will never contain a slash; if path ends in a slash, tail
    will be empty. If there is no slash in path, head will be empty. If
    path is empty, both head and tail are empty. Trailing slashes are
    stripped from head unless it is the root (one or more slashes only). In
    nearly all cases, join(head, tail) equals path (the only exception
    being when there were multiple slashes separating head from tail).
    ----------

    Can anyone tell me what this verbiage is trying to fucking say?

    what the **** is with the head and tail thing?

    is the doc writer, trying to write the doc with some austereness, but
    is confused about the behavior of split, or confused about expressing
    it? Did his pretension fucked him up?

    i was working on a program where i needed to split a path into dirname,
    corename, and suffix. But this fucking python doc diverted my work and
    wasted my time. It normally isn't a problem to find imperfections in
    the world except the fucking OpenSourcers **** with their fucking
    moronicity and moronitude and propagate haughtily their fucking lies
    and stupidity. Die.

    Suggested rewrite:

    split(path)
    returns a pair (dirname,filename), where dirname is the part of path
    up to the last slash, and filename is the rest of the string after the
    last slash.

    Exceptional cases are:
    • if path is a single slash (or repeated), then path == dirnameand
    filename is empty.
    • If the “last†slash is repeated, they are treatedas one single
    slash.

    ------------
    **** the motherfucking liers of OpenSourcing fuckheads.
    (Note: my use of OpenSource here does not include people of GNU
    community.)

    For more about Python Doc problems, see
    http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/t2/xlali_skami_cukta.html

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/
    Xah Lee, Sep 18, 2005

  2. On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 03:46:03 -0700, Xah Lee wibbled:

    > Can anyone tell me what this verbiage is trying to fucking say?

    Please don't feed the trolls.

    In other words, if everybody ignores this loser, he might crawl back under
    the rock he came from.

    --
    Steven.
    Steven D'Aprano, Sep 18, 2005

  3. Xah Lee

    Matija Papec Guest

    "Xah Lee" <> wrote:
    >Python Doc Problem Example

    what makes you sure that this problem would be interesting for groups beside
    c.l.python? are you begging to be converted to a true religion? :)

    --
    Matija
    Matija Papec, Sep 18, 2005
  4. > Please don't feed the trolls.

    > In other words, if everybody ignores this loser, he might crawl back under
    > the rock he came from.

    Well, comp.lang.python people would do better to accept the suggested
    rewrite and ignore at the rest at their discretion.
    Julian Fondren, Sep 18, 2005
  5. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    Addendum:

    I was working on a program where i needed to split a path into dirname,
    corename, and suffix.

    I came to this page and took me a while to understand what split() is
    about. There are other path related functions splitext(), splitdrive(),
    basename(), dirname(). User has to scan the whole page and read
    painfully each one to fully understand how to choose and use them for
    the task at hand.

    As i have explained before (see references at bottom), documentation
    should be organized oriented towards programer's tasks, not
    alphabetically, compiler view, or computer sciency scheme. On this
    os.path module, split(), splittext(), dirname(), basename() should all
    be under one section. This way, their usefulness and each's fitness
    becomes clearer, and also easier to document as a collective. Other
    functions that test files or get info about files should be together.
    Don't be afraid that there are functions that doesn't fit into some
    “classificationâ€. For exapmle, the walk() and
    supports_unicode_filenames() can be lumped at the bottom as Other. The
    need to present materials in some aloof, computer sciency, academic,
    precision pretensions way is a major usability problem in the Python
    doc.

    (the OpenSourcers's need to present materials that way is a backlash of
    the willful juvenile sloppiness of unix/perl community. However, they
    being the same crowd without significant critical thinking and writing
    skills, cannot do better by hiding in formality.)

    Also, at the top we see:

    Warning: On Windows, many of these functions do not properly
    support UNC pathnames. splitunc() and ismount() do handle them
    correctly.

    As indicated before, this is a exhibition of tech geeking and
    jargonizing. If this warning is necessary, place it at the bottom of
    the page as a footnote. Also, spell out UNC, and provide a link to its
    proper spec.

    Tech geekers are very pretentious of tech matters. They are afraid, as
    if spelling out UNC would make them unprofessional, that their peers
    would deem them inferior. There are a myriad of techincal standards
    that any programer could only be familiar with a fraction, confined to
    his area of expertise. Standards and its acronyms come and go , and
    each with varying degree of precision, actual revelance, and they are
    intermingled with de facto “standards†in the commercial world that
    may not even have official names. The tech geekers are clouded by their
    narrow knowledge. The purpose of documentation is not some cold
    academic presentation. Vast majority who came to use os.path wouldn't
    know what UNC is. Spell things out when in doubt.

    UNC here, isn't really a significant “standardâ€. This warning
    should be left out.

    This post is archived at:
    http://xahlee.org/perl-python/python_doc_os_path_split.html

    Xah